Reading material???

Hey yall,

I wanted to let you know that this is one hell of a site. Lots o' great info in the forum and links. Especially for someone just starting out and working with the Ultra Low Budget mentallity. Scott Spears article on low budget lighting kits completely opened my eyes and potentially will save me $$$$. Thank you all.

So my question:

I have been scouring my local library and book stores and I have read nearly everthing they have to offer, excepting the fan books for one scifi/fantasy series or another (I guess now would be a good time to admit that I am a sucker for anything with Joss Weadons name on it, I love that guy!!!) Most of these book, while being useful and informative, all seem to be very general overviews of the film industry. You know the ones I am talking about "Movie making for the complete abject moron" or "Sell Your Firstborn and use the Proceeds to Make a Film"(well maybe it was something to do with used cars) All good stuff but as I am proceeding to write some shorts I am interested in getting my hands on more advanced material. What I would like to know is... as a writer, director, cinimatographer, editor, producer etc. what books line your shelves.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Clearance & Copyright Everything the Independent Filmmaker Needs To Know by Michael C. Donaldson

"My name's Mike D and I get respect...Your cash and your jewelry is what I expect!"
-Mike D, Beastie Boys

I don't have any book recommendations, as I can't read or write.

Just picking up on your mention of Scott Spears' articles. His pal, Mr Boo, also has some great articles that are really good for the dollar-impaired peeps like us. :)

I gotta say that was the quickest Beastie Boys referance I have ever gotten. Oddly enough I'm not a fan, it just happens to actually be my name.

oh.... and yes Mikey does like it.

I don't have any book recommendations, as I can't read or write.
Adult literacy courses are our friends. Don't be ashamed.

Rodriguez's book was already on my list, these others look great too, thanks.

I was kidding about not being able to read/write. If I couldn't... I wouldn't be posting here.
smiley_ninja.gif

That was my sad attempt at humour in that post.. or at least, something to make you go "hmmm", while having something useful to add with Boo's site.

Don't take me toooo seriously. If I can work a bad pun or joke into a post, I will :P

Oh, and :welcome: to IndieTalk.

I think this is what happens when bad humor follows bad humor. Kinda like how two wrongs wont make a right, but three lefts will.

.....ok that was really, really bad. I hang my head in shame.

Hi :hi:

Here's my main five books

The Guerilla Film Maker's Handbook by Chris Jones and Genevieve Jolliffe
Acting for Film by Mel Churcher
Conversations With My Agent by Rob Long
The Oxford Compact Thesaurus
The Macmillan International Film Encyclopedia

Here's a few I've got that I have enjoyed:

Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen -- Steven Katz
The Screenwriters Workbook -- Syd Field
Screenwriting 101: The Essential Craft of Feature Film Writing -- Neill D. Hicks
Writing The Romantic Comedy -- Billy Mernit
How to Write A Movie in 21 Days -- Viki King

And a few I'm considering picking up.. (If you've read these, let me know if they're good or not):

Set Lighting Technicians Handbook: Film Lighting Equipment, Practice, And Electrical Distribution -- Harry C. Box
Lighting for Film and Electronic Cinematography -- Dave Viera (For the cost, this one better be good.. ~$87)
How to Shoot a Feature Film for Under $10,000 (And Not Go To Jail) -- Bret Stern

I haven't bought it yet, but I will...and I'm sure it's a good book as the author is smart and experienced:

The Ultimate Film Festival Survival Guide (3rd Edition) by Chris Gore

I've heard great things about this book. If you are an active filmmaker looking for the perfect festivals for your film, this book should help out a lot!!

Is that edition the new one, Logan? There was supposed to be an updated version of that book coming out this year.

Back