• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Homeless Panhandling done with Style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxpUjAuH5U4

Shot this with a couple buds last weekend.
This is a joke but people actually do this in Portland.

Last edited:
It just doesn't ring true, on any level. Homeless people don't act like this. And hipsters generally have jobs. I'm sorry, I couldn't muster a chuckle.

I have to agree with CF, it feels like you're trying too hard to be funny but it's just falling flat. It's not a bad idea, but I think you need to work on the execution.

Think of it this way - as a joke, the fact that you only take credit cards is the punchline, while panhandling is the setup. How often do you start a joke with the punchline? That's basically what you're doing here. It would probably be a lot more effective if you were just doing straightforward panhandling, but then when someone tries to give you money you hit them with "Oh, no, I'm sorry, we don't take cash". You let them react, then whip out the ipad and double down with "We do accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and most debit cards though." Get another reaction, then escalate with "and unfortunately we have to do a five dollar minimum, you know, fees and such". That's three punchlines, each time taking things to a slightly more absurd level, and each time providing an opportunity for more humor in the person's response.

Then - anticipate the kinds of responses you'll get and have some good answers in mind. "Why don't you take cash?" We don't feel comfortable supporting the federal government's fiscal policies in Nicaragua. We prefer to support multinational finance conglomerates because of all the good they do in the world. We're germophobes - do you know how many people have touched the average dollar bill? "How would you feel about doing some yardwork/dishwashing/manual labor?" I'm sorry, we're standing in solidarity with local 315 and their strike for service employees rights. You know, I just had a $50 manicure and it seems such a waste to ruin it by chipping a nail. We're germophobes, so we'd be glad to perform any kind of manual labor that doesn't involve touching or otherwise coming in contact with, well, anything.

Well you've obviously never been to Portland before.

My bad, I didn't realize that people who live in Vancouver are experts on everything Portland. After all, I'm from Seattle, so yes I've been to Portland many times, but I failed to consider the fact that when I wanna know what it's like in Seattle, it's best to ask someone who's from Tacoma.

I have to agree with CF, it feels like you're trying too hard to be funny but it's just falling flat. It's not a bad idea, but I think you need to work on the execution.

Think of it this way - as a joke, the fact that you only take credit cards is the punchline, while panhandling is the setup. How often do you start a joke with the punchline? That's basically what you're doing here. It would probably be a lot more effective if you were just doing straightforward panhandling, but then when someone tries to give you money you hit them with "Oh, no, I'm sorry, we don't take cash". You let them react, then whip out the ipad and double down with "We do accept Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and most debit cards though." Get another reaction, then escalate with "and unfortunately we have to do a five dollar minimum, you know, fees and such". That's three punchlines, each time taking things to a slightly more absurd level, and each time providing an opportunity for more humor in the person's response.

I do appreciate the comments, and there are some good ideas. We did try stuff like that, but interacting with people is very difficult when in you're in any homeless person position. No one wanted to even look at us so our goal was to catch them off guard with absurdity so they'd talk to us, then we'd try to bum a charge off of them.
And after all, I didn't direct the piece so I did what the director wanted and moved within that capacity.

And for my friend Cracker Jack, we all live in Portland. The page is the director's Youtube series mocking Vancouver.

Back