Indie-definition?

What makes an Indie filmmaker an Indie filmmaker? Does it run the gamut from doing all the 'work' personally to perhaps being partially funded by other sources to totally funded by an 'Independent' studio? Is it a 'spirit', can it be defined as a school of....(like the Bauhaus, etc)?

It depends on how you look at it. Indie's broadest definition, I think, is shooting without studio backing. It can mean a lot of things to "Indies" though...

Bauhaus? isnt that an 80s band.. I love their music. sorry.. sidetracked for a moment ;)

Yes, I wonder where that line is drawn when it is no longer an indie production.

I think Hollywood wants to cash in on this.

I was with a friend in San francisco some weeks back and we ate at this indian Restaruant at the embarcadero. awsome food but very expensive. I saw a theatre across the way from the mall and asked my friend if she wanted to go see a movie.. she saw it was an indie theatre and thought the movies were from India. LOL.

i thought it was funny because the first time I heard that term in the early 90s I thought the same thing.

Back