• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trailer for my Fantasy Film

I loved - The tone. It feels like it captures some of the source material, and I'm a huge fan of L. Frank Baum's original OZ. (btw did you know he mixed up his east and west when making his map and labeled it incorrectly? either that or its just backwards in oz :)
I liked - The witch. She was nasty and disgusting. The pacing in the edit moved at a nice clip, too.
I'd work on - The voice over acting. Good voice acting is always difficult, and I'm not saying I've mastered it all either :) The digital effects compositing. Check out videocopilot.net if you haven't already. Andrew Kramer is god of vfx and has billions if not trillions of tutorials out there to help make shots more believable. I feel like a lot of the shots had very good foundations that could have been improved by adding more subtle elements to them.

Coolio!
-Matt
http://www.voiceofthevespers.com/

Matt,

Just wanted to thank you for your well-considered response. I appreciate the breakdown on what you felt worked and didn't work, and why.

I have to say, my effects guys are familiar with the site and the tutorials you're referring to. The effects here are in the condition they are mostly on account of time. We had exactly two guys doing these effects, both of whom have day jobs, and an executive producer pushing for lots of last-minute changes before taking the trailer to Cannes. We're working on getting some effects help in here for the film itself.

I loved - The tone. It feels like it captures some of the source material, and I'm a huge fan of L. Frank Baum's original OZ. (btw did you know he mixed up his east and west when making his map and labeled it incorrectly? either that or its just backwards in oz :)
I liked - The witch. She was nasty and disgusting. The pacing in the edit moved at a nice clip, too.
I'd work on - The voice over acting. Good voice acting is always difficult, and I'm not saying I've mastered it all either :) The digital effects compositing. Check out videocopilot.net if you haven't already. Andrew Kramer is god of vfx and has billions if not trillions of tutorials out there to help make shots more believable. I feel like a lot of the shots had very good foundations that could have been improved by adding more subtle elements to them.

Coolio!
-Matt

A huge undertaking and a lot of this looks pretty amazing. The guy at the table, sounded like the mic was pointed at the table (very resonant and "woody") and not near his mouth. (Maybe some EQ would help.) I wanted a little more ratcheted up intensity from a couple of the actors, who seem soft spoken. Great job on the tone and the visuals, though!

Last edited:
Im annoyed....the first thing I look at after posting my video and its this. Its makes mine look like it has been shot by a monkey!

Great work sir. Beautifully shot and looks like fun.

Looks good. Sounds good. My question. Are you not the least bit concerned with the Wizard of Oz copyright holders coming after you?

Thank you one and all! Cryogenic -- the Wonderful Wizard of Oz book is so old that the copyright has passed into public domain. As long as you don't rip off anybody else's adaptation ( especially MGM's because WB owns that and they love threatening people with legal action) then you're absolutely fine.

I was unaware that the intellectual property fell under public domain. Very cool!! Good luck with Cannes, too. It's difficult when you have pressure and deadlines to be able to get in there and really dedicate the ridiculous number of hours required to get those seamless special effects. I totally understand the day job situation too. I've been working on my sci-fi action feature (whatever possessed me to make a sci-fi action film as my first feature is beyond me) for around 4 years now and I've just been living in After effects and even then, there are still places where I know the effects aren't stellar. I didn't realize this was a trailer for a completed film!!! I'm super excited to see it now!!!
Good luck with everything and keep me posted on progress.
-Matt

I was unaware that the intellectual property fell under public domain. Very cool!! Good luck with Cannes, too. It's difficult when you have pressure and deadlines to be able to get in there and really dedicate the ridiculous number of hours required to get those seamless special effects. I totally understand the day job situation too. I've been working on my sci-fi action feature (whatever possessed me to make a sci-fi action film as my first feature is beyond me) for around 4 years now and I've just been living in After effects and even then, there are still places where I know the effects aren't stellar. I didn't realize this was a trailer for a completed film!!! I'm super excited to see it now!!!
Good luck with everything and keep me posted on progress.
-Matt

We're not completed yet, actually. Filming's done apart from some minor pickups, and we're trying to settle into post, but we're the same way you are, we keep wondering why we chose an effects-heavy fantasy picture as our first film when we could have made a gangster movie or a detective story or something.

But we signed with a distributor a little while ago and he's taken our trailer (along with trailers for various other projects he represents) to Cannes to try to pick up some pre-sales. If there's enough interest he'll help us expedite post-production since he has a relationship with some effects houses.

Thank you one and all! Cryogenic -- the Wonderful Wizard of Oz book is so old that the copyright has passed into public domain. As long as you don't rip off anybody else's adaptation ( especially MGM's because WB owns that and they love threatening people with legal action) then you're absolutely fine.

Ah.. my bad. In that case good luck.

This looks great! Certainly a huge undertaking. Do you have a site or a newsletter I could subscribe too to stay updated for it release?

Back