Shooting bores my actors. How do I lighten up the atmopshere?

I was shooting a zombie/drama about how an older brother copes up with his bitten sister. Okay the fact that it was a drama might answer my problem that shooting it was completely boring for the actors. But I did pretty bad too that could have aggravated the situation. Me and my cinematographer were shooting too slowly and my actors must be in the same sitting position for the whole shooting which lasted like 2 hours.

We finished like 1/5 of the film on that day and I am afraid we end up having another boring shooting again. Not that the day was boring. My friends make up good conversations and good laughs when we're taking breaks. I just dont want to bore my friends for the majority of the day!

Shoot faster.

Have foot on set.

Include them in the decision-making process.

Have a very funny person on set to entertain them ?

But seriously, shoot faster. Everything you be ready to shoot when the actors arrive and setting up scenes should take a few minutes.

Like any work environment the manager must keep the staff motivated with fun and goodies...try unusually good food that they don't get often, fun food. It helps. And like the artist said, shoot quick. You and your Dp should have most of this planned before. To consult for long periods of time on set between shots loses motivation and confidence. Be more spontaneous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Rq4EPkLCI

Seriously, movies are full of lots of people sitting around doing nothing, then getting up and doing something and then sitting down and doing nothing again. It can be boring for those not constantly involved.

Unless you're camera department, or G&E, there's a good chance you're going to spend a fair amount of your day sitting around. Actors spend a lot of time waiting around - that's why they have trailers on big sets, and at least some sort of basecamp or unit base with craft services on all sets.

We finished like 1/5 of the film on that day

1/5 of a feature in one day is quick. 1/5 of a short, not quick. It's all a matter of perspective.

I hope your actors don't expect to be able to make a movie in the same time it takes to watch one. Those are very unrealistic expectations. Well at least for our current level of technology.

The official industry term for that is "hurry up and wait".

Yup. That's a military dictum as well.

1/5 of a feature in one day is quick. 1/5 of a short, not quick. It's all a matter of perspective.

Agreed. We don't know enough to judge who is at fault here.

Since I'm waxing rhapsodic this evening....

Back in my days as a touring musician it was not unusual to show up at 2pm for sound check (Oldies revue with eight to 12 acts) and not go on until 9pm for the first show and midnight for the second show. Now that's "hurry up and wait."

Preparation is everything when it comes to a shoot - it can mean the difference between your cast twiddling their thumbs for five days or having your shoot DONE in five days.

When you're directing on set, you are a manager. You are managing time, people, and resources, and all manner of things can and do go wrong on a production set: Actors get sick and you have to completely rearrange the shooting schedule, equipment breaks and you can't replace it, etc. etc. But a lot of these things can be avoided with proper preparation. I myself am a big proponent of shot lists and storyboards, but you need to be adaptable. When it starts raining outside, you need to be able to pick things up and switch to an indoor shoot that wasn't scheduled until the next day. Every aspect of your shoot needs to be treated like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle that can be modified to fit into any spot. I know; easier said than done.

That being said, a filmmaker's worst enemy (especially a brand new filmmaker) is becoming obsessed with your magnum opus. As a writer, I get it; this story is your baby. If you're also directing it, you want it to be perfect. Most of your cast does not share that notion. Most of them are going to be there for different reasons. While it's exciting to have all these grand ideas racing through your head, the rest of your cast only cares about what those ideas turn into. So you need to be in tune with what your cast wants and what they can tolerate, because making a film is all about knowing when to compromise and when to stand your ground. You have to be able to exercise your will while also keeping other people's morale in mind.

My best piece of advice I can give you is to know your set like the back of your hand, and to just keep the wheels turning. Indecision is a filmmaker's second worst enemy; even if the production is devolving to something you never envisioned, just keep shooting. Your cast and crew will be happier to be in motion than to be sitting back doing nothing while you try to get everything just right.

Last edited:
One thing to remember is that you should only get actors in the set that have something to do.

So if you plan that you will shoot with actors a & b between 9-13.00 and with actor b and c between 14-17.00 then you have to make sure that actor c is only in the set between 14-17.

This because if you have a one person waiting in the set that has nothing to do, then he / she will get bored and then starts to disturb the rest of the people in the set.

Only bring in people that you know you're going to use in an allotted amount of time. Don't have them come in and wait. Have them come in for when you feel that you'll be ready for them to shoot. But if you must have them come in, have them being an assistant or grip. I've never met any actor that wasn't opposed to helping out. If it keeps them occupied and into the shoot, then so be it.

And as said, be prepared ahead of time.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of a good Producer who can draft up callsheets and detailed schedules - especially when you're strapped for time or cash. Make sure actors/actresses are only there when they need to be. For example, don't bother calling someone to location at the crack of dawn if their part is only one shot - adapt the schedule so you can bunch together their on-camera time.

Good food is always a morale-booster. Make sure there's plenty of chocolate bars, fruit and snacks to go around for people who are sitting idly. Cups of tea and coffee to go around always kills some boredom.

One thing I could add is that you should try to avoid wearing too many hats. For example if you are both directing and DP:ing the actors can get annoyed when you spend all of your time fiddling with the lights. Also try to plan your shots beforehand so you don't waste time shooting angles that won't end up in the final product and try to keep your shooting ratios low. Even though it won't cost you more money when shooting with digital, it will cost you time.

Back