• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Friends New short A Lovely Afternoon

Beautiful location. Attractive visual style.

The acting is sometimes painfully stilted -- bad enough to make it hard to watch. Some of the responsibility for that probably falls on the director. I don't know the trick to natural, unforced acting, but I know it when I see it. I mean, it looks like they're just following instructions. When playing tag, for example, he doesn't look like he's actually trying to catch her. And she's not really running.

From a story point of view, I'm not sure the older lady serves much of a purpose, other than to reveal the twist. And honestly, if that's the only reaon she's there, then she's only a device and not a character and should be either expanded or completely removed. Also -- and this is very important -- the twist just didn't work with me. I think it's a little too common. Another short that's on this board right now, "I Think I'm Crazy", depends on the same device.

I think the running thing was more a frolic around the greens thing, than an actual try to catch me situation. It was all shot in about 3 hours and it was about 100 degrees out . So it made it a rough shoot.
I thought the acting was ok, with some actors being better than the others, but I'm not an expert.
Thank you for your input and the time you took to view it.

Back