• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

super 8 film projector

Found a Bell & Howell super8 projector at Goodwill (still in the box and with owner's manual) for $6.50 including tax. Works, kind of. The "Take up" reel is on strike, allowing the film to make its way onto the floor instead of being neatly re-wrapped in the reel. Whatev. Did I mention it was $6.50? Go Goodwill!

Damn, and I was gonna stop at a goodwill yesterday looking for the same thing! Oh well.. maybe I'll check one out this week. that take up problem is probably a pretty easy fix.

probably just needs a new belt or whatever.

dudebro, Goodwill and Salvation Army outlet stores are great places to find Super8/16mm equiment. From time to time both of mine here have had things I've bought. Good price as well. Just make sure you clean the track where the film goes threw very good, so nothing scratchs your films. :) Also the takeup reel I would guess just needs and new belt/spring and it should work fine. Or maybe alittle oil on the belt now would work it out. :) Let us know if you get it fixed.

PS. If you ever get rid of that one and need another, I have a few around here that I could sell to you. :) Just thought I'd put that in your ear.

Just thought I'd put that in your ear.

You make Ms. Blonde & Bad Haircut proud. :bag:

______

I've heard a lot of good things about local charity-stores, and so I checked out almost every one in my neighbourhood. I guess I live in the lame side of Anaheim, as I've never been able to find anything. :no:

I have heard a lot of people have had great success with those stores, though. :yes:

County public school surplus stores are good for projectors, especially 16mm ones. At least they used to be, when they were getting rid of all film equipment.

Great ideas about fixing the take-up reel. Will keep you all posted if I fix it.

Zen and Will--My humble advice is to be persistent and patient. I've been on the prowl for a super8 projector for months. I was starting to lose hope. But I made it a semi-weekly event to re-visit the same local thrift stores until I finally got lucky. Or skip the search and hollar at HailtotheKing!

Also HailtotheKing, would you oil the belt with like WD-40 or motor oil or does it matter the kind of oil?

Love the school surplus idea...Indeed my next mission is to find a 16mm projector...

Also Goodwill now has an auction website goodwill.com and they seem to have some bargains - but nothing like pounding the pavement. Another source would be pawn shops/flea mkts/ or estate sales.

Nice find naverdolguin. Didn't know they had this. But I don't like it as you can't search for items on the site. Unless I'm missing something. Thanks for posting this. Yes estate sales are good. I havn't been to one, but alot of Super8/16mm cameras on Ebay say they got them from estate sales. I should hit a few of them up.

Edit: Never mind I found the search! :P They got a few Super 8 items on there. Also if you type in 8mm you get a few results.

Last edited:
yea - they also have some old lighting equipment and cameras. Its a decent site - I found it while looking for old video games awhile back but now there seems to be a lot of competition in the bidding. But I do hit about 5 thrift stores a week looking for stuff and hit garage/estate sales on the weekends. THere is always some sort of older cameras/equip at the estate sales. In addition you can look at indoor flea markets - these tend to exist in every city - but sometimes they are priced near market value instead of bargain. But you never know.

Back