• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch The Mutants

Howdy all! This is a piece of cinema we did back in the summer of 2012. Not such a long ago, but the english subtitles have been pending for a long time...

But here it is, a full translation for our film! Be sure to click on the 'Subtitles' button on the left side of the 'Quality' button (where you select the 360p, 480p, 720p etc.) It should automatically load the english after that, since there are no other languages in the list!

We did this short film in finnish, although we have made several english spoken shorts in the past. Many people commented on the fact, that we should just let the actors speak their native language. So, now we did it, and the result can be seen from below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JRswHkPpCo

The key of our production was to create this 90's video game look, with all the over and under acting in the same vein of old f.m.v. cutscenes. We also wanted to stir the soup a little more and go with this "Tromaesque" look, with all the trash film production quality and colored, flashy lights. We hope you enjoy this film, as much as we enjoyed making it !

I almost forgot to say this but: Please give us feedback about this film !

We are always open to suggestions on how to make our films more entertaining, although we do have a slightly alternative touch in our works :) The line between being enjoyable and making original, sometimes weird concepts, can be a bit tricky.

Currently we are planning on making another video game style film in the near future, so feedback of Mutants is highly appreciated! :)

Hi SirRandom,

I kinda like the idea behind it, the video definitely has a 90s-esque comic feel to it, with the animated backgrounds and the huge amount of colour.

The commentator gets annoying for me, he's very very loud and every other dialogue is so low, I was thinking he would of sound much better if you added an echo to his voice and it would fortify the feeling of in a big stadium without him needing to shout so much.

The Knife character is the only interesting one, which is good seeing as its focused on him. Some of the combat elements could of been easily a lot better, when the guy runs with the chainsaw he tiptoes towards The Knife, it looks slow and completely unbelievable, similarly when The Knife seems to rescue another mutant, the deaths he accomplishes are lack lustre.

The locations you have used are good, it at least looks like a mix of different places. I don't see why the mutants have health bars in the competition, I think that those are too chunky and remove from the action. The battle with The Prisoner is a bit more interesting than the previous battles.

The moment where The Knife says "Its over now" to the seemingly organiser of the mutant competition, he throws the telephone, I just wish in this moment he showed some real emotion of anger, maybe shouting something like "ITS OVER WHEN I SAY ITS OVER" and throwing everything around in one motion, rather than like a little child.

It's not my kind of film, but I tried to see what you were trying to do. So for that I commend you.

I hope I don't sound negative, it's a very interesting idea combined with what is an odd way to film to me, with the comic feel, colours etc, it's a lot to take in. But it did look like something fun to make so good luck with your similar projects in the future.

Thanks a ton for your feedback!

I actually can agree with most of the points you had there... I too felt that, in the end, the boss of it all, Fred, didn't show enough emotion and anger with the response. Now, in a retrospective, the character should have also been a little more disgusting and greedy, you know, the kind of guy who you wouldn't want to know. Well, maybe not a Baron Harkonnen, but something along those lines...

A lot of things could have been done better and some things were just choices we made (like the size of the HUDs and such). I'm kinda proud what we did with this trash film / old school video game film genre, but the next sci-fi film from us will be something completely different. It's always interesting to go into new places and make things differently. Sometimes doing the same concept or idea a second time, with a completely different twist, can be really great, for example...

Once again, thanks! Your critique was well thought and written. It's always a pleasure to read something else than plain negative or blandly positive, one sentence feedbacks :)

Back