Auditions

I plan to hold auditions for my ultra-low budget movie soon, does anyone have suggestions as to where would be the best place to hold the auditions. Also where is the best place to find actors, I know that the casting call on Mandy.com is pretty good, any others?

The movie will be shot in Toronto, thanks for all the help.

Is there a college near you? That'd be the place. Next bet is highschool, if they have a pretty big theater department. If you have a local Theater, post flyers there. Thats all i can think of at the moment.

Most Public Libraries (in the US at least) have a public meeting room that you can use. Just ask at the front desk and see if you can reserve it for a specific time (just in case).

Best bet is to rent a rehearsal space. They rent by the hour and are affordable. Rent two rooms, one small room for auditioning, and a larger room as a holding area. You will need to hire someone as a check in person to work the holding area. You may also want to hire someone to run the camera, assuming you are taping (and you should). This allows you to concentrate on the actor that is being auditioned, and not the camera, or the schedule.

I must be tired. I just wrote about a two hundred words on auditions and then accidentally deleted it.

Here are the edited highlights

1) If you've got a budget cast via agents. You'll end up seeing people who meet your casting profiles and who are good enough actors to have acquired an agent. If you haven't got a budget, some agents will still help you, but only if you've got a good reputation in the local industry and they want a less experienced actor's name linked with yours.

2) Every major city has an Actor's Centre, a place that professional actors use as a resource centre. You'll find a willing and more than often free cast here, plus they'll have rooms you can use for the audition.

3) Drama schools - some have a no professional work whilst training policy, most don't. You'll find lots of young, inexperienced actors. A mixed blessing as they are also often unreliable.

Good luck

Back