• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A Clip From My Short Film (critiques)

I'm probably going to get some better actors for next time. But my friends did a decent job lol. This film is really to build my resume/demo reel. The dolly is a home-made ghetto dolly, the tripod was a crappy cheapo and the camera kept falling off lmao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLEj8CveKtI

Last edited:
Hey MrJay,

Let me start by telling you that it's irrelevant that you used DIY rigs and crappy equipment. What matters is what eventually shows on screen, even if you didn't have any budget. Some films have a lot of money behind them and still seem pretty cheaply made and vice versa.

As for your scene - The key moment of this scene is someone having a tough time looking at someone else sawing off another, unconscious, guy's arm. While I don't necessarily need to understand why this is happening at this particular scene, I would like to at least feel the tension that the character feels just before the sawing happens. Because that character, like me, the viewer, is watching these events unfold. So I need to feel the tension along with him. I feel this is missed in the directing, acting and perhaps in the editing as well.

The editing, though not serving its purpose correctly - to my liking at least, is technically done very well. It flows right, it's paced right and works well this the music. The cinematography is decent and works well enough and the camerawork is also good.

I'll point out the actor's tension isn't acted well at all, even if it's your friend. As a director, this is something that you must work on and since he is not a real actor you must venture through many techniques until you can guide him to properly act what your vision entitles him to. For example, you can't just tell him to act tense or scared, because he doesn't know how to do that without it actually happening to him. You need to try a different approach. Working with non-actors is big deal and takes time to become good at. Just like becoming a good cinematographer and editor - whereas your "toolbox" of knowledge grows with time, so does it grow as a director. It doesn't just happen by directing more and more, it happens by learning about the craft and doing a lot of rehearsals and blocking. I'd give you a tip for this specific actor to try > Make him sit in an overheated room with a snow coat on and make him do some jumping jacks, eventually he will start soaking up and breathing heavily. Then quickly bring him on set, remove his coat and capture that energy on camera. This is just a tip of course, there are plenty of ideas you can try.

Last note - Production Design. This thing is usually left out from no-budget films and is extremely important. You made sure you have your key items: A saw, blood and a bathtub. You should try to remember that you'd also want to dress your actors properly. For example, the random gray shirt looks a bit out of context and way too clean for someone who has just "done something" like this. Think about what happened before we got to this point, mess up the shirt a bit, fill it with sweat marks, a bit of dirt... give it the appropriate history it deserves. Attention to every detail help build for a more believable scene.

Ok that's it. I hope this didn't sound too harsh, but I'm trying to point you in what I believe is the right direction and what I would hope to have been told a few years back instead of learning it through trail and error.

Good luck man!

^ I understand what you're saying. But it was 2am in the morning when we shot this and they had to leave so I was rushing lol. And I'm confused on the random gray shirt you are referring to? That was the same shirt the kid that got sawed up was wearing. If you mean the style of shirt he had on, then idk either lol. It's supposed to be a kid, I thought that was the type of shirt kids wear? lol sorry not trying to sound retarded I'm just a little confused. but it's all good, no worries :)

I appreciate the feedback though.

Last edited:
Back