• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Contract - First short film

Action packed short film featuring scousers

Hi,

This film has been a year in the making, between working for a living, we have finally finished something that was originally a piece for a university project. We know the weak spots, but we would really appreciate you taking your time and giving us constructive feedback. We have had some feedback on youtube already, some good some not so good, and I agree with it, apart from the boring score. Anyway, please enjoy it, and thanks for watching :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QrhS8O4TqI​

Last edited:
Dunno if I'd call the score boring, but it's old. Heck, even the newer Trek Into Darkness trailers are getting flack for pushing that similar horn-blast style into the ground. Ditto for the Prometheus trailers, which leaned heavily on the first Alien soundtrack.

I didn't make it all the way through your film. Gave it a good 6 minutes before calling it quits.

While visually there's a lot of action going on, nothing happens until we're 4 mins in... after which we're we're back into the actiony-but-nothing scenes again... which rely far too heavily on CGI for even basic effects. Selling the illusion of jet-fighters in play? Don't back 'em up with half-rate muzzle-flash & uninspired blood/wound effects.

I don't doubt you have a decent story in there. It's just been hidden by overly-complicated flashbacks & terribly timed reveals.

Weird grade choices. Meh. I like consistency but can appreciate allowances for differing times. Some clips just looks more cheap video than other clips... some of which look pretty slick. Consistency!

Edit: Forwarded to credits to check a few things, while typing this. Dang, 5 times as long as needed. How many onscreen credits do these clowns need? Simplify it & be done with it. Also, now totally hearing what those music critics were talking about.

'Grats on finishing your college film. :cool:

had some feedback on youtube already, some good some not so good, and I agree with it,

What is the general consensus? :)

Can't really add anything that hasn't been said in previous comments on your youtube page. High production values in the action scenes are totally washed out by a poor script and acting.

Thank you for watching, I have to say I disagree completely about the score being boring. It was a well produced piece that fit the film, and as for the credit music, its up their with the best.

How can you possibly critique a film, without watching it fully? Had you took the time to watch it, you would see what we tried to do. I understand people are entitled to their opinion, and as I said in the post on this board, we are aware of its weak points.

You say we rely on CGI for basic effects, do you mean the helicopters or the Jet? Unfortunately we are not in the position to hire out these vehicles. So using CGI was the only option for us.

The story I know has holes galore, and the acting isn't its strongest point, but I think you need to realise none of us have done this before. I have seen a lot of short films, and I don't think ours looks like a début film. The audio, is at a really high standard, all the shots and editing are tight and have decent CC.

What did you want to check in the credits? People did many jobs for this film, and crediting them is my way of thanking them, which they appreciate.

It wasn't a college film, it started out as a University project, which then developed into this.

Thanks again for the critique, I don't have a problem with constructive criticism, but when its from someone who didn't even watch it, I wont lose sleep

- Clown

Thank you for watching, I have to say I disagree completely about the score being boring. It was a well produced piece that fit the film, and as for the credit music, its up their with the best.

How can you possibly critique a film, without watching it fully? Had you took the time to watch it, you would see what we tried to do. I understand people are entitled to their opinion, and as I said in the post on this board, we are aware of its weak points.

You say we rely on CGI for basic effects, do you mean the helicopters or the Jet? Unfortunately we are not in the position to hire out these vehicles. So using CGI was the only option for us.

The story I know has holes galore, and the acting isn't its strongest point, but I think you need to realise none of us have done this before. I have seen a lot of short films, and I don't think ours looks like a début film. The audio, is at a really high standard, all the shots and editing are tight and have decent CC.

What did you want to check in the credits? People did many jobs for this film, and crediting them is my way of thanking them, which they appreciate.

It wasn't a college film, it started out as a University project, which then developed into this.

Thanks again for the critique, I don't have a problem with constructive criticism, but when its from someone who didn't even watch it, I wont lose sleep

- Clown

You're welcome :)

Back