Your opinions on my chosen route?

Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask a simple question: what do you think of my film plan - I want to complete 10 shorts (by the end of July), and then begin work on my first feature.

I this good, bad - does it not matter as long as I'm comfortable? Just interested in others views :)

well it all depends on the quality of your shorts, as they say its quality not quantity.

with quality you will be more satisfied with your short, with quantity youl learn alot more about what goes right and wrong when filming so it kind of negates itself, I think ten shorts is a stretch but if you can do it then that would be amazing for yourself.

I know it will be difficult, which is why I set the target. I thought there's no point in easing myself in, and that I should get going straight away. Whether I get ten done or not, my focus will always be quality, but ten quality shorts by end of July is my goal to prove to myself more than anyone else that I'm capable of what I want to be able to do :)

Your opinions on my chosen route?

When you get to the fork in the road, take it. :D :lol: :P

Rather than making ten projects why not participate in ten projects? Work as PA, Grip, Gaffer, Gofer, 1st AD, 2nd unit, script/continuity, production sound, etc. on other projects. You learn a lot more and much faster that way. The second reason is that you build your network of folks to call upon when you do your projects.

I've learned more flying second chair for a few days or even just observing for an afternoon than in dozens of hours working on my own or reading books and articles.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask a simple question: what do you think of my film plan - I want to complete 10 shorts (by the end of July), and then begin work on my first feature.

I this good, bad - does it not matter as long as I'm comfortable? Just interested in others views :)

Well, since you announced your intention to do this earlier in this thread, I think your plan would be working better if this was an update on what you'd done to further your existing goals since then, instead of milling about getting further affirmation for them.

In short... what have you done to make that first film happen, during the past week? :)

There's too many variables, for anyone to answer this, other than yourself.

I will say this, though - if you hope to turn a profit off your first feature, then I think you should remove any timelines and/or deadlines. Just start making movies, network with as many filmmakers as you can, and learn what you can from them. And don't be shy to lend a helping hand to someone else's production. You'll know when you're ready for a feature.

There's no road-map for indie filmmakers. Every single one of us is a trailblazer.

There is a well-respected member of this forum who advocates making a feature film, without any experience, sight-unseen. Besides having a heck of a lot of fun, you'll learn A LOT. I used to disagree with him. I used to think that you shouldn't make a feature until you're "ready". I've since changed my mind, simply because I've realized that I wasn't even slightly "ready" to make my first feature, when I did. And yet, it is an experience I cherish, grew a lot from, and formed some great relationships that I think will help me take my next step forward.

So, do you need your first feature to be a money-making venture? If so, slow down, work hard, and be diligent. On the other hand, if you're open to the idea of making a feature as more of a learning/growing experience, then hurry the fuck up and do it!

Basically in the last week I've finalised my 7 shorts' scripts (need 3 more but they can wait until I'm done with these), and filming commences for my first this Saturday, and three will be done by the end of February if I stick to my current personal deadlines.

And my first feature was going to be more of a learning experience. Obviously I would love to make money from it, however I wanted to practice my actual filming and directing skills with my shorts before making my first feature, from which I can learn a whole lot from.

I am, however, stumped as to whether or not I should spend my money on entering shorts into film festivals (as long as they're half decent). I it worth it even if they may not appear potential winners?

1) If you're new, make some skits with your friends or family for practice.
2) Then, make some more "serious" shorts with real actors and with decent production quality (good sound, visuals, riveting stories). It doesn't have to be 10 shorts. As stated above, quality over quantity. Make your short you're working on right now, the best short you've ever done.
3) Get in to festivals, make some contacts. Get your name out there.
4) Go where the wind takes you. No plan because I guarantee you, one thing will happen that will change your whole route. And you gotta be prepared when that comes (ie, meet a producer who will be willing to produce your first feature. Or just your next couple of shorts. you can meet a writer who will work with you on your next films. etc etc.)

So again, just strive to make the best film that you can and opportunities are gonna start to open.

I want to complete 10 shorts (by the end of July), and then begin work on my first feature.
why ten? What if you'll have an idea for a feature when you'll be working on your 5th short movie? what if you make 10 films and still suck at it and don't feel like taking on bigger challenge? Why July?

Filmmaking is not an ON and OFF switch. You can't just flip it, and produce a short screenplay. This plan just asks for a writer's block. Go out, enjoy your life. If you'll have an idea for a short movie - by all means go and make it. Trying to force yourself to make a movie is the same as trying to take a sh*t when you don't need to go - you'll just end up with hemorrhoid, a toilet full of blood and a face full of tears.

When it comes - it comes.

HAAAAHAHAHAHA!!! D-lev, you're the best. Your analogy is equally painful, funny, and true. :lol:

EndState, I think you've got the general idea, and I really like the approach you're taking. I don't think you need to have any prescribed number of shorts that you need to make first. Make as many as you need to make, in order to feel comfortable enough to move on to the feature. That number could be one or twenty, you decide, and you won't know until you're doing it.

Too much thinking at this stage. I'm glad you're moving forward on your first short, because that's exactly what you should be doing. :)

Back