Agent for Producer

I've dedicated this year to self- producing a bunch of sketch comedy shorts, based around my original character, "Raditude."

I've already produced my first short entitled Super Slacker. I have the scripts for the sequels, cleverly titled, Super Slacker 2, and Super Slacker 3. I am also planning other Raditude shorts, besides the Super Slacker trilogy.

The first Super Slacker was no-budget, and it shows. I now have a little bit of cash I can throw toward the subsequent productions, to make them better quality.

Once I've produced a handful of these shorts, I wish to attract attention of Comedy Central, or another television network, much like how Workaholics got it's start.

To get signed with a network, I believe I need an agent. How would I go about finding an agent? Can someone recommend an agent or agency?

I consider myself a producer, director, writer, editor and actor.

Uh huh, thanks for the insightful constructive comment. It sure helps a lot.

I'm not going to wait around to be discovered. I'm going to make myself known. Now I need to know who I should make myself known to.

Maybe more insightful and constructive than you think. Once your shorts are attracting a large enough audience to make them interesting to a network, they'll also make you interesting to an agent/agency. So the best way to 'go about finding an agent' right now is to focus on your shorts and building an audience for them.

Just because you're making a show - doesn't mean that any agency will pick you up immediately.
This is a regular business of supply and demand.. Are you and your ideas in demand? Then you can have an agent so they can deliver a product (your show) to the customer (networks).
How do you know if you have a valuable product? Valuable products is a product that attracts viewers. How many views do you have of your show?

If you don't have a lot (around 1-2 million) - you don't need an agent, because they won't be able to sell you to any network.

Get a valuable product - and agents will find YOU. Until then - keep working on your craft. There is a ton of competition trying to do what you're doing, so good luck :)

Last edited:
My comment was more to the point that if you're only attracting 360 views when you're giving it away for free in a medium that commonly brings in millions of views, what makes you think you really have what it takes to go wide on a national network? (I guess now you prefer my previous comment?)

From what I saw, you're not ready yet. It doesn't mean that you don't have talent, but you have a lot to learn before you're ready for the big leagues. Hell, prove me wrong and make it. Make me eat my words. I wish you the best of luck, though, if that doesn't work, I suggest starting at the basics, which these days means building up your fan base/audience.

What you're asking is for a network to risk programming you into their network, where they are more likely to program something internally. You can do it, but you may be better off giving the producer reins to someone else. It's often the producer/production company (which in this case is you) to get the studios to take you and this sounds like it is something you don't know how to accomplish.

To answer your first set of questions about an agent. You'll want a good quality agent, not just some bottom scum sucking agent. From what I hear, to get a good agent at a decent agency, you pretty much need to be bringing in an income to be worth their time... you know, what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

For comedy, you might be better off taking the stand up comic route to success for acting.

Back