iMac G5

Anyone seen the new iMac G5? I'm not a big fan of intergrated systems like the iMacs, but this looks like a nice buy to me. I'll start checking for $1000 gold coins between my couch cushions.

Wow, very very nice. I'm happy enough using FCP with a G5, so when I buy my own computer, perhaps I'll just go for the iMac instead. Helps to know a student with student discount-ness :)

I've just added a new G4 powerbook to my own personal collection and a snazzy little ibook for Stella, my significant other.

The G5 imac looks very impressive for the price, but I'm still holding out for the full G5, so I can indulge my current, non-professional, obsession with animation.

CommanderGoat said:
I'll start checking for $1000 gold coins between my couch cushions.

Don't bother. I checked for them the last time I was up and all you had in there was a dead rat. I left it there if you want it.

I would like to own any sort of computer that could handle any type of video editing software. If anyone happens to run across a "buy one get one free" for this thing, I'll gladly take the free one off your hands.

Poke

I wouldnt know what to do with it but stare at it and maybe shut it off.

I mean, the very first computer I owned in 1993 was a Mac Performa System 7 with 16 color screen.

I know they have come along way since then but my point is I have worked with nothing but PCs with Window and experimented with Linux.

3D Studio max doesnt work in it. I think Maya works on Macs but MAYA is like 10,000 dollars for the core itself.

Does final cut pro have 3D plugin effects? I know the new Adobe After Effect 6.5 does. its supposed to do some amazing things with OpenGL.

Does Final Cut pro render alot faster then adobe or sonic/sony products do on a PC?

I understand mac software only has to utilize about 1/3rd of the memory as windows does.

Thats a great atvantage allowing you to get away with 512 DDR but i would have to start the learning process all over again.

Some guy was telling me (And i dont know if it was FCP) that he has a non linear editor that you just drop your scenes into place and save as a avi/mpeg file and it renders in real time. I asked him what that meant and he said "Just that" the file is ready when you hit render.

I have a hard time believing that. does anyone know if this is true or if he is bullsheeting me? he said its for a Mac though

King Goldfish said:
Some guy was telling me (And i dont know if it was FCP) that he has a non linear editor that you just drop your scenes into place and save as a avi/mpeg file and it renders in real time. I asked him what that meant and he said "Just that" the file is ready when you hit render.

I have a hard time believing that. does anyone know if this is true or if he is bullsheeting me? he said its for a Mac though

It might of been Liquid Edition 5.5...but that's for PC only. It can do that....so they say...I even saw it and I don't believe it. I want to try it our for myself and see out good it really is.

It may well RENDER in real time. Rendering a movie means the computer is building all the required clips to show effects as they'll appear in the final product. So if you simply put clips in a line and hit "render", and you have a fast machine, it will do it very quickly.

EXPORTING is a different story... it converts the entire length of the movie to another file format. So I believe Exporting takes a minimum of "real time", and longer depending on your computer.

Back