Strange bargain: Write this for me and I'll let you co-direct this movie with me?

I met another filmmaker a few months ago. He was very cool and we had similar interests with film so we decided to collaborate.

He doesn't like to write and I love it. So he asked me to write this movie and we would both co-direct it. My main passion is directing. It sounded great, so I got to work right away. It's nearly done and I'm wondering, could he end up buying my script and not letting me co-direct it?

Nothing is in writing and there's certainly nothing's been signed yet. I mean it'd be the worst scenario. But is that a possibility? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Last edited:
Possibly, depends on the guy, many people like to steal screenplays, ideas and make use of the vulnerable. It wouldn't matter if you sell it and not direct if the price is right, right? But expect the worse and when good things happen it will be a gift. Is this guys name famous enough for anyone to recognize him?

Well it would matter because my goal is to be a director, not a writer. Also I could eventually make the same money working in other jobs but thats not going to let me direct a bigger movie. Money is nice but getting to direct something big like youve been verbally promised is better. :tear:

What do you mean by "buying"? Is he offering to pay cash for the script, so it's then his property? Or is payment actually the opertunity to co-direct?

Either way, before the "sale" happens you would draw up a contract stating exactly what the terms of purchase are. Don't hand over the finished script til then. However, if you were really that worried about it, it might have been wise to sign a contract before you even began writing.

I don't quite understand your concern. If you're writing the script alone, it is your property to do with as you please. Even if you used his ideas, ideas cannot be copyrighted. When the script is finished, register it with the WGA. If he offers to buy it from you, consider the offer and either accept or politely decline and go your own way.

Problem solved.

I've always found writers to write scripts for me... I don't have the chops to finish a script. I haven't offered a co-direction thing (and never would to someone I didn't know how they direct). I'd say yes to writing, take the credit for that, perhaps an associate producer credit if you feel you need more credit than just the writer. 2 Directors is a very difficult prospect if you haven't worked together before in this type of capacity.

Single captain of the ship and whatnot... co-directing works so seldom and has led to some catastrophic stuff.

He could be a legitimate, honest, low-budget director who doesn't want a contract because, if the script isn't up to scratch, he'll still have his idea and can make some kind of arrangement with one of the many amateur writers out there who'd sell their left leg to break in (as sad as it is).

Or, he could be out to somehow rip you off. What's your gut tell you?

Were I unable to write and didn't have the money to hire, I'd simply include a clause about accepting the screenplay. Providing the bloke has a treatment and it's registered, it'll always be his story anyway.

Your choice.

I don't quite understand your concern. If you're writing the script alone, it is your property to do with as you please. Even if you used his ideas, ideas cannot be copyrighted. When the script is finished, register it with the WGA. If he offers to buy it from you, consider the offer and either accept or politely decline and go your own way.

Problem solved.
I just want to re-emphasise, if the "director" has registered a treatment, it's HIS STORY. Ideas cannot be copyrighted, but try to register a screenplay as your own based on the "story" (as this is essentially what a treatment is) of another and you are opening up yourself to a world of legal agony.

I just want to re-emphasise, if the "director" has registered a treatment, it's HIS STORY. Ideas cannot be copyrighted, but try to register a screenplay as your own based on the "story" (as this is essentially what a treatment is) of another and you are opening up yourself to a world of legal agony.

Did the director do a treatment? I apparently missed that bit of information somewhere.

That being the case, then yes, you'd be plagiarizing his work. Not a good idea.

Back