• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch A Dark Video

This was a one chip sony camera and I did everything manually. I also liked the blurry effect. That was done in FCP, not in-camera.

Was that a camera light, or what that you used? I was going to say you got really good low light out of that camera, then I realized it was lit (heh).

Well done, though. Tres creepy.

Even though there was light, I have to say that is awesome low light performance. I liked it. The first shot looked 24p (probably because it was blurry), and that slow motion shot was cool. How did you do that? Just the normal way of slowing down the speed, or what? Because it looked real smooth.

Have you used adobe premiere? if so Which one do you like better, FCP or Adobe? And if not, how much do you like FCP?

I really liked your use of music, sound effects, facial expression and lighting to create a distinct mood in the film.

One thing that distracted me was that the bumpiness of some of the shots. A tripod on a skateboard or some other rolling device would have helped. Also, your actress could have benefitted from a moodier wardrobe, though her current one works well enough.

Overall, a nice short!

Wow...I wasn't expecting this much commotion from this video. I'll have to add more :)

Now to answer you questions:
I did use aditional light (just a regular camera light). This is a Sony DCR-TRV17.

Logan, you were interested in the smooth slow motion. I've noticed you're using Adobe Premiere. In oder to get smooth slow motion (like I did in this clip), you have to remember that you are starting with 29.97fps (or 25fps PAL - I have an XL1S PAL which I use for 'serious work'). When you slow down the video, you are expanding those 29.97fps on a longer timeline. If you slow the video down 4 times, you now have about 7fps. That's how Premiere works. At that frame rate video does not play back smootly and that is why you're not happy with it. FCP goes a step further, which changes everything. It creates new frames in between those original 7fps and blends them together making the video smooth. In FCP, there really is no trick to slow motion due to that (unless you disable frame blending)

Rizien, I have used Premiere quite a bit. I started editing on Premiere 5 before Final Cut Pro came out. When FCP 1.0 came out I gave it a try and fell in love with it. Even FCP 1 processes slow motion like I mentioned above. Since then I have been editing only in FCP to the current v4.5 HD. I have played around with Premiere also, even tried Premiere Pro 7 but I am not very impressed (definitely much better than 5.1 however - I think that's what I remember you saying you use, Logan). So, I have been with FCP since the beginning and it's my preferred 'editing station.' King Goldfish, I'm sorry but I cannot help you with slow motion in Vegas since I have never used Vegas.

Xuetang, thanks for the very constructive feedback. You're overanalyzing the video a little though. My family lives in Ohio (that makes me sound old - I'm only 21) and I had my small Sony with me while visiting. Hanna is my sister btw and I was just playing around with the camera. I really liked the lighting outside. I wish I would have used the XL1 for that, but it was unplanned - just went outside and thought the light looked cool. So, the costume, 'acting', etc. was all done on the fly. Otherwise I would have definitely taken all those things you mentioned in consideration.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll be ending my service with my current webhost soon, so I'll add some videos shortly. Unfortunately I only have pretty old stuff (stuff I also did using Premiere!).

Also for those using adobe:

Premiere Pro does indeed create the necessary extra frames as does FCP. I believe they both use interpolation instead of duplicating the frame (as I think Vegas does?).

I thought it was pretty good.

At first, I thought the music was the main source of moodiness in it... then I watched it again with the sound turned off, and it still had a very nice atmosphere.

She single?
smiley_ninja.gif

Vegas doesnt do this :(

I tried the 12fps mode but all it does is adjust the sound to the video at normal 30fps audio speed. it just looks jumpy because I guess it inserts like 3 of the same frames in a row and repeats is.

or however that would add up.

Anyone here use Vegas and now how to get it to go in slow motion?

I use vegas , if you want smooth slow motion. After you have inserted the velocity envelope right click on the clip select properties, make sure smart resample is checked.

Smart resample inserts the extra frames that creates smooth slow motion.

Toxzy

DirectorX said:
Xuetang, thanks for the very constructive feedback. You're overanalyzing the video a little though. My family lives in Ohio (that makes me sound old - I'm only 21) and I had my small Sony with me while visiting. Hanna is my sister btw and I was just playing around with the camera. I really liked the lighting outside. I wish I would have used the XL1 for that, but it was unplanned - just went outside and thought the light looked cool. So, the costume, 'acting', etc. was all done on the fly. Otherwise I would have definitely taken all those things you mentioned in consideration.

Oh, I had a feeling I was overanalyzing :) It looks like those films I make when I want to experiment, and as an experiment, it's very well done! All the factors I mentioned still apply, even if it was impromptu.

Back