Who is Your Favorite Director and Why?

I have a lot of favorites but I would have to say my all-time favorite is Paul Thomas Anderson. I have never been disappointed in anything he's made and his writing is always freaking genius. He also always gets great performances out of actors who you thought sucked and then of course when they make their next movie they do suck lol. Boogie Nights would prob be his masterpiece but I really enjoy everything he makes.

What about u guys?

While he isn't my #1 (close!), Paul Thomas Anderson is an absolute genius. His film "Magnolia", in my opinion, is the creme de la creme of all his films. Like a 190 minute long movie that is all about personal human struggle? Any other director just couldn't have done that. You can feel such a personal touch to it. Kevin Smith bashed it hard one time, saying he keeps it at his desk just to remember how terrible a self indulgent movie can be, but I completely disagree entirely. Magnolia was an eye-opener; the scene all about regrets --- that always stays in my mind with the films I make. Am I personally saying something that means anything significant, or just bullshitting to get a reaction? Those thoughts. Magnolia was perfect. His choice of Aimee Mann for the score / soundtrack was incomparable.

My opinion of best director would be Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsesse, or Quentin Tarantino. Can't choose. It would feel like sacrilege.

-Jesse

It is hard to choose. Sergio Leone and Alfred Hitchcock for a start. I think I will go with Sergio though. His movies are just so unique looking and feeling, and no director has done anything like it. Tarantino is heavily inspired by Sergio, and even he can't manage to make a movie quite like his.

While he isn't my #1 (close!), Paul Thomas Anderson is an absolute genius. His film "Magnolia", in my opinion, is the creme de la creme of all his films. Like a 190 minute long movie that is all about personal human struggle? Any other director just couldn't have done that. You can feel such a personal touch to it. Kevin Smith bashed it hard one time, saying he keeps it at his desk just to remember how terrible a self indulgent movie can be, but I completely disagree entirely. Magnolia was an eye-opener; the scene all about regrets --- that always stays in my mind with the films I make. Am I personally saying something that means anything significant, or just bullshitting to get a reaction? Those thoughts. Magnolia was perfect. His choice of Aimee Mann for the score / soundtrack was incomparable.

My opinion of best director would be Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsesse, or Quentin Tarantino. Can't choose. It would feel like sacrilege.

-Jesse

yeah its crazy how a lot of his movies are severely underrated. People usually don't like him because they don't have the patience to sit through them, but i agree with you. Hes straight up genius.

Can't go wrong there. The mix between commercial and artistic value his films have is just incredible. So hard to find that equalibrium. Nolan would come damn close in that category.

i agree spielberg is a genius as far as commercial marketing and appealing to the masses. But really the only film i ever liked of his was schindlers list

Among veterans, its Alfred Hitchcock. Among the modern directors its David Fincher. And I like Sir Ridley Scott because of his excellence in production design and art direction though on some occasions his films lack good writing.

Back