• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Short "The Date"

Oh... my... god...

I'm halfway through this (start of dinner scene) and I had to stop and post that this is nuts! I love stuff like this!
smiley_bounce.gif

---------------

That was brilliant!

Best scene: The woman dancing in the kitchen.
Best line: "I'd have to say... two hundred and ninety-nine, baby!"

smiley_badger.gif

ARRRGGGHHHHH. It keeps shutting down my system when ever I go to watch it. How can I be expecting not to watch it after reading Zen's comments???

Poke

Hello,
Thank you Zen for the nice compliment. It's always nice to have a fellow artist give a good compliment.

I'm sorry Poke for it crashing your system. I used quicktime 6 to compress it, I set it to 512. Maybe the hosting service was messed up.

I posted a page were you can download it.
http://www.dreamorphans.com/download.htm

If that doesn't work just post and we'll figure something else out. I hope you like it.

If interested this is my first short I did. It was my first short so be gentle but it has some cool weird stuff in it. It's about subtracting thing in life that you don't need. http://www.dreamorphans.com/images/projects/sid.htm

Thanks,
Toxzy

Wow, I really liked the costumes in this film. It got kind of creepy for me after a while, but that's probably because I just get creeped out easily by strange things on film.

Overall, I think you've done a great job, though I think you could innovate with your cinematography to make it more interesting and strengthen the dynamics of your dialogue. But yeah! I enjoyed it much

Just watched "Sid", the other flick.

Now... when you say "first short"... I really hope you mean "first short, after a thousand other first shorts while getting the knack of it all"...

How long did that take to make? It was insane!

Be honest now... is this an accurate image of you brainstorming ideas?
smiley_pot.gif

This is just genius. (and I am jealous :( )

Okay, the problem I was having was Real Player related (someone - my lovely wife - downloaded it without my knowledge and screwed up the Quicktime settings).

Extremely funny and original short. Loved the use of music. Loved the the actor's body movement. Loved the cinematography. Loved it!

Best Scene: The Jogger Scene (especially the first appearance of the Twinkie)
Best Line: "You never met my mother."

Poke

Ha ha ha, I love the icons Zen, but I don't see the green one in my list of icons, maybe I left it at home. ha ha ha

Poke, the twinkie guy is my old roomate. He was pretty cool to do a scene eating a twinkie, since he's vegan. I don't think twinkies are vegan?

I don't let my girlfriend touch my computer. Thats asking for trouble.ha ha ha

I was a sculpture before I made those shorts. I like to weld metal but I had to stop,woke up to many mornings with too much crust in my eyes, it's really bad on the eyes.

I've been trying to read as much as possible on cinematography. I'll just keep practicing. Any advice or resources?

I have a few other shorts that I'll post once I get time to digitize them. I'm in the middle of working on a feature length movie that is a remake of Macbeth but in the disco era "Unruly Nights". It's directed by a friend of mine but he's really good.

I'm also trying to finish the script and get a crew for my first feature length.

I'll never get anything done, I'm like a kid in a candy store, I've been viewing shorts from this forum all night. I love it!

I use Firefox also it works great! Stops pop ups and has good security.

Thanks,
Toxzy

Christopher said:
Poke, the twinkie guy is my old roomate. He was pretty cool to do a scene eating a twinkie, since he's vegan. I don't think twinkies are vegan?

I saw Super Size Me and I think it was mentioned as the most Veganest of Vegan Cuisine (Oxymoron).

Christopher said:
I don't let my girlfriend touch my computer. Thats asking for trouble.ha ha ha

According to her if I didn't let her near the computer, she'd never see me.

Christopher said:
I'm in the middle of working on a feature length movie that is a remake of Macbeth but in the disco era "Unruly Nights". It's directed by a friend of mine but he's really good.

That sounds cool. Not as cool as crows on a date, but ...

Poke

My friend is a theater major here so he's really into shakspear and those sort of things, me on the other hand I'm more into the oddities of life.

Toxzy

Thanks, I'm heading to the video store to get it on my lunch break, I really like sword play and martial arts movies, My favorite director is Ryuhei Kitamura,he did" Versus". I'm really waiting for that Casshern to drop, I saw it last week ,nice! Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chris

Oh dear, you're opening up a can of worms when you ask me for recommendations about martial arts films! Versus was really fun; wasn't Beat Takeshi in there somewhere too? I've been meaning to see Zatoichi.

I'll spare you a 50-page dissertation and just list a few of my favorites so far:

Fist of Legend
Once Upon a Time in China
Hero
Yojimbo
Lone Wolf and Cub (the manga series, though I understand the film series is quite good too)

I really enjoy these types of films and will be working on one for the next few months.

And just to bring this back on topic, I just wanted to say that I saw "Sid" and really enjoyed it. Kinda want to minimalize my uber messy desk right now, though...

I watched Sid as well, and while it is technically well done I didn't like it as much as The Date. It was shot well, edited well, it had an interesting story and point to make. The problem was that it took soooooooooooooooooo long to make that point. Don't get me wrong, I did like it (especially the dream sequence with the mouse in the suit), just not as much as The Date.

But then again, as a first film it kicks my first film's ass!

Poke

Xuetang , I saw Hero and Lone wolf and cub but I saw the film series, both were real good, I liked brotherhood of wolf, nice combination film fighting , naked chicks, cool weapons, and monsters. what else can you ask for! I checked out your webpage. Nice! I thought the teaser clip you had of the fighting was some nice. Have you seen this guys stuff?
http://www.ilram.com/V_lantern_temp.html He did a nice job all round.

Peace,
Chris

Poke,

I couldn't agree with you more. I wish I could go back and re-shoot and re-edit but I don't want to be like george lucus(can of worms)ha ha ha! I agree it's long before you get to the meat of it. I feel all my shorts have major problems but each time I figure out one problem another comes up. I guess part of the fun is the learning process. Hopefully the next movie I'm working on will have all those bugs fixed. I can't wait to start shooting it. I think it will be one of those moments when things come togeather and you move up to another skill level (crazy talk). Are you working on anything right now?

Peace,
Toxzy

i'm just in a state of shock. The Date was amazing.

one technical question though... how did you go about obtaining the right to use all those great jazz standards? Did you have to pay a lot of money for royalties?

Back