Getting experience in theatre?

Hello people from IndieTalk (in the subforum directing hehe),

I have a question, do you think it would be valuable for a newbie director to get experience in a theatre too? I'm mean for working with actors of course ;).
Or maybe even for other aspects as well??

Thanks!

Btw absolute fantastic forum you guys have got here.

It definitely helps to have connections in Theatre, as it is potentially a good place to find some talented amateur actors.

Working in any element of the entertainment industries is likely to help further your knowledge and appreciation of cinema as often I find that film brings many entertainment in together to one place, music, acting, artwork. It helps to have contacts in many areas

Absolutely. I adore directing plays because I am able to work with actors, uninterrupted, and without technical concerns. It is extremely valuable.

However, there are great differences in the two disciplines -- don't enter into it with the notion that it will be any easier than film.

But it is a whole lot cheaper!

Thanks a lot guys!

Absolutely. I adore directing plays because I am able to work with actors, uninterrupted, and without technical concerns. It is extremely valuable.

However, there are great differences in the two disciplines -- don't enter into it with the notion that it will be any easier than film.

But it is a whole lot cheaper!

But do you approach the actors any differently? (or is it the same as with film)

I would think any kind of interaction with actors could only be of benefit.

Upcoming directors should consider taking acting classes; many acting schools offer specific "Acting for Directors" courses, for those needing a crash-course.

While I know very little about theater, I've heard that the job of Stage Manager is something that is considered a line to the directors chair. Just like Editing. Just something to consider.

But do you approach the actors any differently? (or is it the same as with film)

You stand and walk toward them, confidently and without sudden moves, lest they get spooked.

:lol:

But seriously, the answer is yes and no. How about that for clarity? Acting for the stage and acting for film are the same, philosophically, but different, technically.

Philosophically, an actor on stage or film embodies a character in accordance with his or her own training and technique. It is NEVER the responsibility of a director to interfere in this process (unless you are an acting teacher from whom the actor has solicited such training). It IS the responsibility of the director to cast the right actor for the role in the first place, whether for stage or film.

Technically, an actor's stage performance is MUCH broader than a performance for camera. On stage, the actor must broadcast his or her dialogue to the back row of the auditorium, and gestures must be large enough to register with the audience. If working with amateurs, a director is occasionally obliged to remind them of this, but experienced actors will do it automatically.

In addition, because the play is performed in a single, uninterrupted "take" (except for an intermission break), the director must manage the tempo of the performance. In film, this is done by the editor in post. Also, a stage director must keep in mind the composition of the stage at any given moment, just as a cinematographer would, in order to properly communicate the story. This is chiefly accomplished by the placement of the actors in the space.

In order to direct well in either medium, you'd better know your shit going in, or the actors will not want to work with you again.

Success in theatre and film is different- what looks like good acting on screen won't look good on stage, and vice versa- but the fact that you're having to employ methods of interacting with actors and instructing can be nothing but beneficial to your directing for screen.

I did quite a lot (by which I mean a number that I could count on one hand still) of theatre directing before I did my first short film and it's always been helpful. And, like 2001 said, it's a helluva lot cheaper.

Bottom line: in both disciplines, it is the director's responsibility to translate a written story into a visual and aural form, and communicate it effectively to an audience. Actors are one of the tools (arguably the MOST important tool) in which to do that. Learn how to properly use your tools BEFORE setting out to build your house.

Yes. I have directed both and there are differences in how you work
with actors. doing both is excellent experience.

While I know very little about theater, I've heard that the job of Stage Manager is something that is considered a line to the directors chair. Just like Editing. Just something to consider.
The Stage Manager is more like the First AD. Not a line to the directors chair.
I'm not suggesting no stage manager has ever directed a play or that no first
had ever directed a movie.

The Stage Manager is more like the First AD. Not a line to the directors chair.

Exactly right.

And this whole notion of a "line to the director's chair" is frankly just an outdated myth, anyway. While a film (or stage) set is largely structured like a military hierarchy, and many positions DO lead to eventual promotions, the director is really an exception. That position, of all of them, is so unique in its balance of technical savvy with artistic sensibility with managerial skills that an effective director cannot master them all by simply working in some other position for a while and wait to be moved up the ladder. Someone who wants to be a competent director needs to learn everything they can about the craft, and take risks in order to gain experience that will hopefully set them apart from everyone else.

That said, the most "direct" lines to the director's chair are probably as a (successful!) writer or actor.

Many notable exceptions to that, of course (these are off the top of my head, so apologies in advance for any inaccuracies):

David Lean, Robert Wise, and Hal Ashby were editors.
Barry Sonnenfeld was a DP. As was Jan de Bont.
Joel Schumacher was a costume designer.
Terry Gilliam was an animator.
Bob Fosse was a choreographer.
Frank Oz was a puppeteer.

Back