• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Always Late

Always Late - 6 minutes

CLICK HERE FOR Windows Media

CLICK HERE FOR Quicktime

Always Late was made as a part of the 48 Hour Film Project 2004 in Cincinnati Ohio.

The 48 Hour Film Project is an international competition where at 7:PM on Friday night, teams of filmmakers are handed a GENRE, CHARACTER NAME, LINE OF DIALOGUE, and a PROP. All 4 must appear in their film and it must be written, shot, edited and rurned in by 7:PM on Sunday. 3.2 million miles accepted this challenge and we succeeded in completing our film on time & delivered, in an ironic twist "Always Late" was the first entry turned in.

GENRE - Comedy

CHARACTER NAME - J.P. Honeysuckle, Judge

LINE OF DIALOGUE - "Some people call me Maurice"

PROP - a trophy or award

Pix & behind the scenes http://www.sonnyboo.com/photogallery/48hour/48hour.php

- Ross
www.sonnyboo.com

That was great, Mr Boo!

I think that was George at his finest there, too.

Have any horror stories about getting it done in 48 hours?

Great Stuff, Peter!

I especially liked the "crowd noises" during the hearing. Any word on possible awards? I've seen some of the projects done for the Austin 48 Hr. Film Fest and this is head and shoulders above all of them.

Poke

from: http://www.sonnyboo.com/cgi-bin/ib219/topic.cgi?forum=7&topic=17

48 Hour Film Project Blog

((7:32 AM Aug 7th, 2004)) Okay, it's late/early. We just wrapped principal photography on location at TALITA's, a Mexican food restaurant on High Street. We wrapped exactly on time and - miracle of miracles - without an assistant director (take THAT Derek!!!!).

Let's get in the WAY BACK MACHINE and go back about two months ago. Linda Byrket, my friend and someone who helps me on shoots as well as I help her on her shoots, found out about the 48 Hour Film Project, and wanted to do it. She initially asked me if I was interested and I said, as I have been saying for months now... NO MORE SHORTS!. The idea repulsed me at that time. One week later, I reconsidered. Miguel Baldoni said we wanted to D.P. it and said I owed him one more short, something we could work on together. I read up on the rules and the concept of the project. Linda offered to produce if I'd direct.

The rules of the game are this - at 7:PM on Friday you are handed four things - a PROP, a GENRE, a LINE OF DIALOGUE, and CHARACTER NAME. Then you have 48 hours (until 7:PM Sunday night) to write, direct, produce, edit, and turn in a finished movie 4-8 minutes long. If any of the items are missing, or if you're 15 minutes late - GAME OVER. You movie will screen but won't compete. The prize? an AVID editing system. (Editor's note, as a non-fan of AVID, the prize is hardly the reason to play the game). You are not allowed to write a script or do much of anything except cast & crew recruiting prior to the shoot. Casting is a bear because you don't have a script. How do you rehearse? What kind of characters are they? We don’t know yet...

Linda, the consummate professional and excellent producer started casting & location scouting right away. We wanted a lot of options. Her husband Bret, who would also handle camera duties and editing duties, contributed a great idea of pre-contributing some story ideas and outlines to match each of the 12 genres. We decide that my new place (Brandy's condo) will be COMMAND CENTRAL, as I have 3 working adobe premiere editing stations. Bret's brother gets recruited to be our official screenwriter, as he has a lot of writing experience and is held in high regards.

I want to meet and work with the actors that I have not worked with before. Especially a young lady named Megan Pillar because she had emailed me over a year before and asked to be a part of any upcoming Sonnyboo Productions, but nothing I had called for a 16 year old girl. Megan had since acted in several local productions and even a movie for Showtime with D.B. Sweeney and the girl from Panic Room. Her resume & reel were impressive, so I wanted to work with her. There were also several other actors and actresses I wanted to play with. The problem is - how do you rehearse for a script, genre, and characters you don't have yet? How do you develop a trust relationship between director and actor on a time restraint when you don't know each other at all?

Here's my solution, which is hardly unique or special: play some very basic actor games with them. I started by meeting everyone at Linda's and we all discussed the contest and the interest levels. We introduced ourselves and then moved into some improvisation exercises, like "what's on the table?", where 1 out of 3 selected actors try to convey without words what's on the table & the other two have to guess solely based on their physical acting. That's more for warm up and basic chemistry between actors.

Then comes the fun game. Pair everyone up and go with a simple set of dialogue

CHARACTER 1
What's that?

CHARACTER 2
What?

CHARACTER 1
That!

CHARACTER 2
Nothing.

They can make it drama, comedy, sci fi, whatever. The point is to see what they come up with (see what their instincts are) and then you (the director) can then give direction. Shape the performance WITH the actor and see how well they understand what you say and how you say it. It's a great and very simple game that shows how well you can communicate direction and how well they can tweak a performance.

We got a great set of people. The only problem is that we won't know until Friday at 7:PM what kind of story and characters we'll need. So a lot of people are playing this game and we may not need them even if they're they are good. We have a great cast. Age & gender variances.

Our plan is to try to start shooting at 5:AM on Saturday morning. We tell the cast & crew to expect a call & email Friday night at approx 9-10PM with instruction on where to be.

-----------

Linda scouted locations and found us an office, a restaurant, a country setting, an 1800's historical site, and 4 suburban homes. We're pretty much ready for anything.

Friday at 3:PM, the lovely and sexified Brandy Seymour volunteered to be our representative in Cincinnati to receive our PROP, LINE OF DIALOGUE, CHARACTER NAME, and GENRE. We are walking on eggshells because we are terrified of getting "Western or Musical" or worse -> "Fantasy". Creating a movie in one of those genres in less than 48 hours is an abysmal thought. We brainstormed some basic story ideas, but they mostly tend toward comedy. It's a strength for our respective styles. We find ways to bend our comedic ideas towards the other genres like SPY, ROMANCE, et al.

at 6:30 PM Friday, Linda, Bret, Dan Kiely, Micah, and more arrive to await our cell phone call from the Kick Off event. The screenwriter (Bret's brother Chris) is awaiting a speaker phone call to write our screenplay in whatever genre we get. At 7:10 PM we get a phone call from Brandy... we got :

GENRE - COMEDY
CHARACTER - J.P. HONEYSUCKLE, JUDGE
LINE OF DIALOGUE - "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE"
PROP - TROPHY OR AWARD

-----------------------

Lots of ideas are submitted from a variety of friends and fellow filmmakers/actors. My suggestions are simple ideas with no more than 3 locations (2 ideas with only 1 location each) and a limited number of characters. Some other really funny and clever ideas are submitted. We have a hard time deciding which are the best because the caliber is high.

A story idea I submitted, a kind of follow up to "LICENSE EXAM", about a couple having an argument turns into an altered reality trial gets picked by Chris. We have only one problem... we can only get into the restaurant location Linda secured at 4:30 AM to 11:AM... and again at 11:PM Saturday. Linda frantically calls to see if we can use it all night Friday night (a few short hours away). They say YES, we can get in at 11:PM. Our calls to the cast now mean to ask who can make it at midnight, 6 hours earlier than we had asked them to be ready.

All cast confirm so that's okay. The only person we can't find is Stephen who loaded up the crane, dolly, tripod and more in his car and we can't do much without it... Panic at midnight.

We receive the script within 60 minutes of deciding which story to go with and it's GREAT. I laugh a lot at what Chris did. He got the vibe and did some great dialogue. It's funny. We don't need changes. We await an email and start to send people to the location to get started. When we arrive to the location, we start working on a shot list. It's a panic hurry, but we do it. I start with a table read with the cast, and then start a blocking rehearsal. After that, setting up our first shot, a dolly pan shot (Stephen arrived okay) and it takes some time to setup and rehearse the camera move. We start shooting 1 hour after we planned, but things stay smooth there out.

Shooting was fun. There was a lot of verbose dialogue for actors to learn in no time. We had a lot to shoot in 1 night. The actors were well cast and they pulled of exactly what we needed. George Caleodis stands out. Putting a bow tie on him incited a Colonel Sanders-type southern lawyer impersonation to die for. I got to have my own miniature George Lucas "Video Village" monitoring our two camera setups on two small 7" LCD portable DVD players as monitors. It's a great way to see this.

Team 3.2 Million Miles (thus named by Linda for the amount the Earth will travel in 48 Hours) pulled it off.

We wrapped up at 7:AM and headed off to get some sleep and start the capture/edit session. Micah, in Micah fashion, heard "between 1:PM to 2PM" and arrived at 1:PM. Bret & Linda arrived at 2... Editing ensued and didn't stop until 5:45AM, then I spent a few minutes setting up a colour correction and took another nap. When I woke up, Bret & Linda were knocking on the door. Time to take a look at the piece... two hours of render to go. Decision time - do we let it finish & find out IF it looks good, or stop it & tweak only audio an other nit-pickety things. We decide to let it finish.

It does. It looks better. Now to finish audio. Music placement and even composition (thanks to Sonic Foundry's ACID). We set our own deadline as 3:PM on the road to get down to Cincinnati for the due time of 7:PM turn ins. At some point during the haze of 3:AM-4:AM, we decided on the title "Always Late". In the only truly Ironic twist, with lots of "irony" being bandied about willy-nilly, was that "Always Late" was the first movie turned in on Sunday.

In the end, we have a 6 minute short.

36 teams signed up for Cincinnati. 33 picked up, only 23 turned in their movies.

Next Saturday they will play the 23 submitted movies. There will be audience awards. On September 11th or 12th they will have another screening of the "Best of" movies from the first screening and they will announce the winner for "Best of Cincinnati". I think we have a real shot at it.

see this:
http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/08/09/tem_48hours09.html

Poke said:
Great Stuff, Peter!

I especially liked the "crowd noises" during the hearing. Any word on possible awards? I've seen some of the projects done for the Austin 48 Hr. Film Fest and this is head and shoulders above all of them.

Poke

Thanks. The awards will be on September 11th or 12th. There were several very good movies I saw in Cincinnati. I do hope we win something. I have high hopes that we can get something, but there are no guarantees. I'm just proud of the piece we made.

For 48 hours it was most impressive, even the orginality. I don't have much expeience but it seems given the amount of time that it would be so easy to settle for a tried and true formula.

Great stuff....

We just found out we won the audience award for our time slot...

In the top 3 out of 33 films.

Feeling pretty good right now.

:)

from -
http://videosystems.com/mag/video_hours_bust/index.html

48 Hours or Bust

By Bill Miller

In the video business, discipline is just as critical as creativity

They descended on the farm — a legion of volunteers equipped with Sony PD150s, rusting Omni lights, and backpacks full of enthusiasm. The “borrowed” orange extension cords, dusty from hanging in dad's shed for years, were worn around the shoulders like badges of honor.

These young filmmakers — and I call them filmmakers even though they were shooting video — had come to my place to make a short movie, part of the 48 Hour Film Project sponsored by Avid. Participating teams must put together a short video from scratch in just two days, not knowing the genre of their script until the competition starts. That means writing, shooting, editing, and delivering it before the clock stops ticking.

I had offered my property as the shoot location. With barns, horses, and acres of fields, plus an indoor bathroom, it was a pretty nice setup for this guerrilla band, and it was free. Having spent the last 40 years in the business, I decided to take a passive roll in this project, which is extremely difficult for a hands-on guy like myself. I volunteered my advice only when it came to lunch. (That's 'cause I know where the pizza joint is.)

What I enjoyed most was seeing the zeal and passion these young Stephen Spielberg-wannabes brought to the project. Despite a freezing drizzle, hour after hour they toiled, substituting enthusiasm for experience. Part of my idea in taking a backseat role was to let them learn from their mistakes. Finding your own path is often a better teaching experience than being led every step of the way. I must admit, a couple of times I did offer suggestions (bounce the light in a basin of water to give an eerie effect, for example), but that's because I can't always keep my paws off.

And so it went for 48 hours, at times peacefully. Other times the tension rolled across the fields like the unwelcome rain that chilled the bones but didn't dampen the spirit.

And then came the editing. I just happen to have a complete editing facility at the farm, which I had offered to the crew. So while I slept, the machines digitized and colorized and formulized the story.

When I awoke after a sound sleep, I was greeted by the bleary-eyed director and editor huddled under blankets as blue images foretelling their future danced across the screen. Twelve hours to go and there was still work to be completed. Music, titles, and — oh yes — voice-over narration. Could they complete the edit and beat the traffic into Boston in time? It seemed like a reasonable task.

There was one minor problem. The director, an affable young fellow with tattoos and earrings, forgot one main principle, which is a must for all video makers, whether you're doing a 2-hour movie, a corporate puff piece, a commercial, or a 6-minute entry in a 48-hour film festival: DISCIPLINE with capital letters. Without discipline there is no video; there is no video career. All projects have deadlines; it's part of the rules. While it's fun to color outside the lines, you gotta follow the rules.

After all the hard work, after hours without sleep, the director let the whole project go down the drain. He kept tinkering and tinkering until it was past time to be on the road. And sure enough, they missed the deadline by 15 minutes and were disqualified from the judging. The director dismissed it as, “Oh, it's only a film festival.” But to the 20 people who poured their souls out for him, it was more than a film festival, and he owed it to them to meet the deadline even if it meant sacrificing some of his creativity. This is a business of creativity and discipline, and you have to respect both. I hope this is the lesson they learned from their 48 hours at the farm.

(For more information on the 48 Hour Film Project, check out http://www.48hourfilm.com.)

The 48 Hour Film Project is holding movie contests in 21 cities in the United States and Europe. Filming teams must complete their movies in 48 hours and deliver them for judging, which makes for fast and intense shooting sessions (above). Team Torpor took top honors in Boston with its film Rubbers, and all of the movies entered were shown in eight packed screenings in early April.

Written By Bill Miller

That was great work! The acting, dialogue, and storyline were all top notch, especially considering the time in which you completed the project. What an inspiriation!

You should see the movies that beat us... I was astounded by teh quality in this year's 48 Hour Film Project. If youre gonna lose, at least we lost to a movie that really really really deserved to win. It was called GLORIOUS and it was staggeringly good. They shot DVX10A 24p and their story was great too.

Back