Copyright Issue

Finished a short film recently, going to start working with a composer. Drew up a "Collaboration Agreement" that states that the composer retains the rights of the music. It also states that he receives a credit for creating the music and a credit which states his copyright over the music. Also, this isn't related to this issue, but the composer receives 25% of any profits made off this short film if it becomes commercial (I'd have to lose the below-mentioned ringtone).

I'm looking for the right way to represent this situation in the final credit title card. Should I put "Video Copyright 2012 by Me" and "Music Copyright 2012 by Composer?" Can I state flatly "Copyright 2012 by Me" and "Music Copyright by Composer?" What's the best way to do this? The best terms to use?

There's also a ringtone used in the film of a popular piece of music ("Who Let the Dogs Out?" by Baha Men) whose rights I don't have. How do I properly acknowledge this also?

Thanks for any help with this issue!

Finished a short film recently, going to start working with a composer. Drew up a "Collaboration Agreement" that states that the composer retains the rights of the music. It also states that he receives a credit for creating the music and a credit which states his copyright over the music. Also, this isn't related to this issue, but the composer receives 25% of any profits made off this short film if it becomes commercial (I'd have to lose the below-mentioned ringtone).

I'm looking for the right way to represent this situation in the final credit title card. Should I put "Video Copyright 2012 by Me" and "Music Copyright 2012 by Composer?" Can I state flatly "Copyright 2012 by Me" and "Music Copyright by Composer?" What's the best way to do this? The best terms to use?

There's also a ringtone used in the film of a popular piece of music ("Who Let the Dogs Out?" by Baha Men) whose rights I don't have. How do I properly acknowledge this also?

Thanks for any help with this issue!

When listing the music put 'all rights reserved' or similar. The copyright is yours, it's your film as a whole.

There's no proper way to acknowledge this, you're better off replacing it

I'm not sure you would want to "properly acknowledge" this fact! If you do, you could try something like:

"The makers of this film have not received copyright clearance for the use of "Who Let the Dogs Out" and therefore wish to acknowledge that they are guilty of copyright infringement (theft)."

Or, you could take MileCreation's advice and replace your ringtone!!

G

Change the ringtone. Just change it and forget about the problem or chances are, it will haunt you. It WILL haunt you for sure if you go commercial.

Then you put "XFILMX by XYournameX, All Rights Reserved" and credit the composer as "Music by XComposerNameX" with maybe a link to a place where people can buy the music.

Look in normal credits of movies. You'll see that songs are credited individually there, along with all the details there.

Look at templates in movies already made. They'll show you how to do it. Those templates are checked by real entertainment attorneys who get paid.

As for "Who let the dogs out" I'd leave it out. Is it really worth the future trouble of possibly biting you on the ass? While a short is unlikely to go commercial, your future works may.

Back