No Place production stills

Yeah, Sam who played Julie was great to work with. She's a very talented actor.

The viaduct is one of my favourite locations, Norhtumberland, where we shot most of the film is very beautiful, but very bleak at the same time, which was just what we wanted.

Everyone has their hands in their pockets, or tucked into their jumpers!

An odd observation... but there you have it :)

Everyone has their hands in their pockets, or tucked into their jumpers!

Rural Northumberland is usually very cold or very windy, either way it's the kind of place you keep your hands in your pockets.

I like 'bleak'. I went to college in cork, Ireland and your stills certainly affect a similar atmosphere. What's wrong with 'arthouse' as a descriptive term? And why does your business partner feel you need to 'find a label to help people understand it as a product'? That seems to be sort of condescending, I'm not the brightest bulb, but I know your final piece will be a feature-length film (your product) but that it's also your vision or artwork. Even people who frequent 'arthouses' realize your piece is both product and vision. Are you talking about genre, its place in film history, its merchandising-I believe people are clever enough to know you want to make money from your labor, or am I totally missing the point? Anyway, intriguing stills.

Thanks for your posting. I'm grateful for the time you've taken to look at the site.

You're right there isn't anything wrong with the term arthouse and I think of myself as an arthouse director. However, the point my business partner was trying to make, is that sales agents and distributors don't see as much commercial value in arthouse movies. It's not so much that he doesn't see it as an arthouse movie, he just doesn't want people to right the film off as being of little commercial value before seeing it.

One of the great things about this film and at the same time one of the comercial problems, is that we've created a film with a unique style. I can, hand on heart, say that it isn't similar in style to the work of any other director I know. For me as an director, establishing my own style is good, however, it does make talking about the film difficult.

The "Ken Loach does Deliverance" isn't quite right, although we have started refering to the film as "Kes-iviour Dogs" simply because of slight resonance it has with Straw Dogs and at the same time with Ken Loach's Kes.

Our basic problem, then, is basically a marketing problem. We have to be able to describe the film to people who haven't seen it, in a way that will give them enough clues about it, to decide whether they'd like to spend both their time and their money in a cinema with this film.

Back