Thoughts on Split Screen?

In planning for my movie, I'm planning on using split screen at certain key scenes. Specifically, I'm looking toward recreating a comic book feel at times, with multiple frames of action. Instead of overloading the audience unnecessarily, though, I'm going to try to have different frames fade in and out when they're necessary, so the audience's eyes are dancing around the screen. I'm also looking toward the more "traditional" split screen of half-and-half with a vertical line, though I'm also going to try to branch into a horizontal split as well.

So, just curious: any thoughts on split screen? I've seen it done effectively in a few films, like Requiem for a Dream, but for the most part, I just don't see it used much. Am I missing the right movies? Anyone experiment with split screen before? Any advice, etc.?

What sort of action would you divide up between frames? I don't think you will want multiple action sequences taking place during the same time (unless perhaps they were differing angles...).

I'm not sure entirely what you need but it might work out well to pan across a comic-style page of paper, fading in and out when necessary to jump downwards (granted this is _not_ a split screen)?

Shaw said:
What sort of action would you divide up between frames? I don't think you will want multiple action sequences taking place during the same time (unless perhaps they were differing angles...).

Sorry I wasn't clear about that. Basically, I'm looking at slower scenes. When it comes to action scenes, particularly fighting ones, I'm very old school, in the sense that I like to keep the camera in one place for most of the time.

However, I'm thinking of using split screen to illustrate certain dialogue scenes, where multiple persons are talking. I'm thinking of divying up the screen to represent the relative importance of each character. I'm also thinking of using split screen like in Requiem for a Dream, where I focus a bit on head shots but also on hands and arms and other bits of movement, so the audience can still see the actors' reactions.

Umm.. another thing I'm thinking is using "split-screen" to confine the characters. Thus, certain people would suddenly be confined to half the screen space (the rest would be black), followed by a cut to someone who takes up the whole screen, or maybe 2/3 of the screen. Again, a sort of symbolic use of space to represent character.

Shaw said:
I'm not sure entirely what you need but it might work out well to pan across a comic-style page of paper, fading in and out when necessary to jump downwards (granted this is _not_ a split screen)?

That sounds pretty interesting. Sort of anime-style. I might look into that, though I'd prefer to keep the action moving at the same time, rather than on a static piece of paper.

Time Code

http://imdb.com/title/tt0220100/

The whole film is a 4-way split screen.

From http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/00/9/time.html :

The main achievement of Time Code is its means of production. The film was shot simultaneously in one continuous take on four separate Sony DSR-1 digital cameras, each following a host of characters entwined within a tightly choreographed story. The result is one story recorded from four different points of view. The final film is a four-way split screen with each camera dividing the viewer’s attention. What results is an interesting visual and story telling device whereby the audience is able to see where a character has come from, where they are going, who they are deceiving and who is deceiving them, from a number of different angles. To avoid a noisy soup of dialogue Figgis has chosen to steer the audience’s attention by controlling the audio of the different quarters. The viewer can choose to follow one track, or glance from screen to screen with the competing view points in their peripheral vision at all times. Following Figgis’ lead it is relatively smooth viewing to be guided from one screen to another as the audio is raised or lowered in the sound mix.

No, I saw it was on TV, but didn't watch it ... funny, I've been thinking of split screen ideas lately too!

Awesome! Well definitely share your ideas if you have any. I'll be working on storyboards over the next few weeks, so I'll post some more concrete ideas that come up during that time. I think it really has some potential.

Kill Bill #1 had a long split-screen sequence in it. Might be worth a peek.

Apparantly that was a nod to Brian D'Palma, though I have no idea what movie(s) that may have been where he did similar things.

:)

Have you ever seen 24? I like what they do in that show with the different scenes. It makes it fun to wastch more than once too, cause you pick up on things you may have missed before.

Thanks for the advice for references, all. I liked the split screen work in Kill Bill, though I didn't find it very inspiring/innovative. I'll have to watch it again, along with the Brian DePalma film.

I've heard great things about how 24 uses split screen. I'll have to snag the DVD from a friend.

When you mentioned the comic book style this thought immediately popped in my head.

Initially resize the full screen shot to it's splitscreen size and location throughout most of the action. Just as it's about over begin the fade in of the next split panel, freeze the last shot of the previous and have it stylize itself... (for lack of a better term) so it looks like it was drawn using the old ink & paint comic book method.. and leave that on screen throughout the sequence. Then continue on to the next and next and next... however many are on the screen in a similar fashion.

I think that would look really cool. Hopefully my pathetic attempt at describing it does it a little justice. I can visualize what I'm thinking, but not sure if I'm fully communicating it correctly.

Watch 24!!!! I have not seen any of the third season but the first two are an amazing watch, despite some of the well documented sillyness-all true btw.

It is the most interesting use of split screening I have ever seen. Multiple angles of a single character, ie close-up and long shot, allowing you to see the distinct reactions of a character while viewing the character in context. Close ups of two characters speaking to each other allow you to see reactions otherwise lost in a over the shoulder shots. IMO this is the best use of the split screen work in 24. Multiple establishing shots of different characters keep you abreast of concurrent action which is needed considering the concept of the show, there is just too much going on to be able to squeeze everything into the 43 min format of hour long televesion (HATE for the commercials, LOVE for the DVD)

It really does amaze me the current state of excellent TV. You have to dig to find it but it is out there. HBO has cornered that market. Netflix is a great way to try out these series without have to blow the big money.

As far as my humble opinion of Time Code, interesting experiment worth a watch but should never be attempted again. Having four different shots running nonstop at the same time was just too distraction. I do recomend eating your ritalin before viewing if you are ADD.:yes:

I used a split screen effect during a wedding video to show both the bride and the groom getting ready at the same time, then the screens came together during the ceremony when they were both there. People seemed to like the effect, but most said that I held it too long. Now that I look back on the piece I agree.

The lesson: know when it's time to go back to one screen again, don't keep things split up too long.

"about Timecode" I've heard good things about this film, actually. Have you seen it?

Mike Figgis the director is strongly connected to my home area and did a live version at our arthouse cinema, where he mixed the film live, cutting from one storyline to another. I couldn't get there but my business partner, who knows Mike, said it was "interesting." I think a lot of people felt it was a little gimmicky.

On split screen, I think the best film example, has to be the original Steve McQueen version of "The Thomas Crown Affair"

Back