Featured crowd members in a sports broadcast

What are the rules about showing people's faces when broadcasting sports games?

When you go to a sporting event, like a basketball game, nobody makes you sign release forms. How are they allowed to show faces of the crowd on TV? You can't go close on a bystander's face in a reality TV show, so what's the difference here? I'm sure the average person won't be upset about their face being shown, but what about all the celebrities at Laker's games? Could Jack sue if he wanted to?

When you buy a ticket to a major event (sports, concerts, etc.) which will be covered by major media or will be filmed/taped there is a clause attached to your ticket that is, in essence, a release so that you can be shown by the media and in subsequent extracts of the event. Be aware, however, that this does not necessarily apply to all such events, and that you must be a member of the authorized entity covering the event. For instance, if you are a still photographer working an NFL game your firms "contract" may give you permission to take pictures of the players but not specifically the fans, except as they appear in the background.

Every situation is unique, and it is always a very good idea to check with the sponsor of the event and your own legal counsel.

If you think about it, celebrities who get papped out in public, or filmed at movie premieres or just out and about, they haven't signed any release forms and it is still legal. Sometimes this just confuses me about what the rule is.

If you think about it, celebrities who get papped out in public, or filmed at movie premieres or just out and about, they haven't signed any release forms and it is still legal. Sometimes this just confuses me about what the rule is.

Public figures (Celebrities, Elected Officials, CEO's etc) don't benefit from the same privacy laws that the common citizen does.

Back