• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Critique wanted on 2 minute Thriller/Horror Film!!

Hey again everybody. I love coming here and getting your feedback on my films. It has really helped me and I want to say up front I really do appreciate all your comments.

So today, I have a 2 minute thriller/horror I've just entered into the Filmriot Monday Halloween challenge.

If you could give critique any or all of the following (or just tell me if you liked the film or not),

1. Did you understand the story/characters? Was it effective?

2. Cinematography, pacing, and editing feedback. What could have been changed to make it flow more smooth?

3. Acting, were the actors believable? Did they fit their roles?

4. Lighting, sound, and music. Did they "work"? Any critique on these would be great.

5. And any other general feedback you may have.

Thank you again. I sincerely do appreciate any and everyone's comments as I try to use the critique given to me on my next project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE7Jf-USrBU

It's was ok, I like the ending, and the questions, but it was missing a something for me.. Something to give it the ohhhhhh

I liked it. Good photography. set design kinda dull. I like the male lead. Keanu's creepy cousin.
thought you could've milked the payoff more. spookier drawing too.

Yes I agree on the set design. It needed more but due to our time crunch we couldn't put any more time into it.

Haha well, ya never know. He might just be Keanu's creepy cousin ;D
I liked it. Good photography. set design kinda dull. I like the male lead. Keanu's creepy cousin.
thought you could've milked the payoff more. spookier drawing too.

1. Did you understand the story/characters? Was it effective?

2. Cinematography, pacing, and editing feedback. What could have been changed to make it flow more smooth?

3. Acting, were the actors believable? Did they fit their roles?

4. Lighting, sound, and music. Did they "work"? Any critique on these would be great.

5. And any other general feedback you may have.

1) Yes, understood the story. Effective? For the most part, yes. Not enough impetus for girl to suddenly leave.

2) Camerawork, pacing & editing pretty much good. Just needed that push to get the girl to leave... but if it ain't in the can, can't edit it in.

3) Actors were fine.

4) Sound poor. Music okay. Did not like the heavy colour grade. Did like the gradual darkening lighting. Very tense, that effect.

5) Continuity issues with # of cars in background with girl at door. Mixed thoughts on afore-mentioned set design. In some ways, has sparse artist studio look... but from other angles, looks like poorly-dressed apartment. Overall, great short film. Creepy unresolved endings can work well, if doen well. Fewdio have built a good name doing so.

The biggest problem with your film is the full-screen commercials that you have playing before your film even starts. Usually I say screw it and X the window, 'cos I've been asked to give feedback on a film... not suffer through a paid advertisment for the privilege to do so. There's a place & time for everything. Still, if that's the biggest problem you have, at least it ain't film-related.

1. Yes I agree. We were struggling with the reason why she was just simply walking away without saying or doing anything further. A lot was sub-text in the script and I wanted it to be that way to avoid any needless dialogue. But of course then we struggled with making known what we needed through the acting...

5. Wasn't there a skip button for the add? If there wasn't I do apologize. I am actually trying out the whole YouTube revenue thing to see if it's something I could actually make a living on in the future. But yeah anyway I apologize.

I do appreciate your honest and detailed critique Zensteve! Your comments on my last short film helped me pay more attention to certain elements in this one. So thank you!

Saw the short and enjoyed it. Nice job overall. I liked th actors and dark feel of it.

I know that the time limit puts a great restraint in your options but there are a couple of things I would have done differently. Before I continue, I'm only a regular member with a passion for films. I have never done anything as you, therefore take my comments as such.

I would have made the time period, the actual time the girl was in the apartment, longer. You could has done this by a quick couple of shots of a clock on the wall, or the girl checking her wristwatch or cell.

I would have made their connection a better/friendlier one at the beginning, and then it trickles into what we know that happened.

I would have made the door a more complicated escape route. All she had to do was turn the locks and go, this would not have prevented anything. Or maybe show the guy going outside and doing something to her car to prevent her from getting away quickly.

Also I would had shown the guys face when painting the girl and shown more of the actual painting.

I know that the time constraint was a pita but these are things that struck me automatically aftet seeing the short. Have you planned making a longer version of it?

Thanks Joey for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate your feedback!
Yes there was so much more we wanted to do in regards to story and characterization but as you said, the time limit of the film really put a cap on the whole thing. And as far as a re-edit, we don't really have enough footage to justify it so no we won't.

One of my teachers however at the school I go to liked the film enough to put it into a film festival he is running in Detroit, Michigan so I did re-edit the film with credits and a title for that. Maybe in the future we'll expand on the main character and make another longer short film but we'll see.

Thank you for your interest!QUOTE=joey1320;292805]Saw the short and enjoyed it. Nice job overall. I liked th actors and dark feel of it.

I know that the time limit puts a great restraint in your options but there are a couple of things I would have done differently. Before I continue, I'm only a regular member with a passion for films. I have never done anything as you, therefore take my comments as such.

I would have made the time period, the actual time the girl was in the apartment, longer. You could has done this by a quick couple of shots of a clock on the wall, or the girl checking her wristwatch or cell.

I would have made their connection a better/friendlier one at the beginning, and then it trickles into what we know that happened.

I would have made the door a more complicated escape route. All she had to do was turn the locks and go, this would not have prevented anything. Or maybe show the guy going outside and doing something to her car to prevent her from getting away quickly.

Also I would had shown the guys face when painting the girl and shown more of the actual painting.

I know that the time constraint was a pita but these are things that struck me automatically aftet seeing the short. Have you planned making a longer version of it?[/QUOTE]

Back