Category Is The Following (MYSTERY):

Drama
Mystery
Comedy
Horror
Action
Sci-fi

"Prop" Is The Following (Pack of Gum)

Prop = Pack of Gum (Bubble or Chewing, your choice)

Who, How Much, and Prizes:

Any registered member of IndieTalk can submit a film.

There is no entry fee.

Grand Prize is a custom designed banner-gif (complete with fancy laurels) and some bragging rights. Perfect for cluttering up your website with. If we receive 9 or more submissions, there will be a second & third place banner-gif created, for your ego-stroking needs.

What Topics Can I Submit?

A thread will be started on Friday July 16 that will announce the basic "genre". It will be randomly selected from a list of genres that include (as examples) comedy, horror, drama, mystery, etc.

With genre in hand, you'll have 6 weeks (an astonishingly long time) to come up with an original story that is no longer than 5 minutes in length.
6 weeks is enough time for weekend-warriors to get something done, and should also be long enough for full-timers that want to join in to do something on a weekend.

(Note: 5 mins is the maximum allowed, not required. If you can get the job done in 30 or 60 seconds, go for it.)

I'll Just Submit Something I Made Last Year, If Genre Fits.

No, you won't. To make sure that it is a genuine new effort made, a "prop" is going to be listed along with the genre. That prop (something very common, easy to find, and/or extremely cheap) must appear prominently at some point in the film. If for some reason it is impossible to locate a suitable prop, it must be mentioned in the dialogue.

Examples of props are "two white socks", or "a banana" or similar. You are in hard times if you can't spring 29 cents for a piece of fruit.

Where Do I Send Submissions, And On What?

If you are nice and efficient (and have your finished film encoded in a digital file in the correct format), you can upload it directly to a hosting server.

If you are lame and want to make me work hard, you can email me for a mailing address to send your submission on:

a DVD
A CD
A Mini-dv tape
A VHS tape
A Hi-8/Digi-8/8mm tape

If you have it recorded in PAL or SECAM (who knows where we'll get entries from), it must be on VHS tape.

From there, I can encode to the appropriate online viewing format.

What Is The Appropriate Online Viewing Format?

For films shot on mini-dv (720x480), reduce to half size.

That means 360x240, for the math-impaired.

There is an allotted 25MB hosting per film. For a full 5-minute film, that is 5MB per minute. Here are some codecs to make it fit.

VIDEO

Sorenson 3
MP4

AUDIO

Q-Design 2

Quality % can be set to 100 for both audio and video.
Setting the BPS between 60 to 80.
Setting a keyframe every 15 frames.

Depending on suggested video codec(s) (and BPS setting) you can compress as low as 1MB per minute, to as high as 5MB per minute.

Also, all the above codecs are included in the basic install of Quicktime for end-users... which means everyone will be able to see/hear them.

If your submission is an .swf or similar, please try to set the stage at 360x240. If already started before this came up, no worry. Just try to export at an approximate %. (And e-mail or PM any funky embedding options)

How Does Voting Work?

Each submission will have its own thread, in the Online Competition forum. Each thread will have ratings enabled (as Screening Room), as well as replies for feedback. The ratings are NOT the vote for best film. The ratings and feedback are just like Screening Room, allowing the filmmaker to get decent input.

A "stickied" topic at the top of the forum is where the voting takes place. All submitted films will be listed there in a line, in a "poll"-style format. Each film title in the poll will be a direct link to the film as well, for last minute viewing. This will be the front-page poll, too. That way, each voter will not miss any chances to actually see the remainder of possibly unviewed flicks.

What Else Do I Need To Know?

Don't use unlicensed copyrighted material in your film.
You do not lose any "rights" to your film, by submitting.
Do not mail in your only/original tape.
If you want your mailed tape back, enclose a return envelope.
Be creative and have fun, dammit! 8)

Last edited:
So...we can't use copyrighted music? Seeing as this is just for fun and a experience, i dont think im gonna drop mad money on a 5min short for music... :)

No need to spend money at all.

Lots of places to get royalty-free free music from. Also, there are a *lot* of composers who've posted in the "Available" section of the forums. I bet chasing a few of them down will get results, as well as posting in the "Wanted" section.

Win-win for both of you! You get original tunes, and composer gets experience/networking as well :)

smiley_badger.gif

i have a friends band that wants to submit there music,but its copyrighted i have there permission ,can i still use it or is it no copyright at all even with permission ,oh yea that guy is refunding my camera man so i am getting my money back.

Chatted with Indie...

Copyrighted music is okay, if you have permission to use it for the film!

Basically this means, you'd better be ready to have a "licence" to use the song(s) for 'net viewing, at the least... and be able to provide the permission, if challenged.

Note that permissions are not typically granted by the bands themselves, but their labels and other entities.

LloydThe Great had success at getting a free licence for a well-known popular song he wanted to use, merely by asking the appropriate agency. It's possible to get the copyrighted songs you may need for this, if you plead a good case.

Rizien & Mr Pee... if you choose to follow "copyrighted" music, be ready to provide documentation for use. (Maybe that's half the challenge, right there... an "indie" getting rights for popular material)

A few links:

http://www.ascap.com

http://www.bmi.com

There is another one, as well.. can never remember the name. Those two will cover most of the details for licensing, for bands they represent.

In spite of all that, I still believe that networking and cooperating with original composers is the best route to go... and there are a lot of them on this board that can deliver the sound (and scores) that match perfectly.

I apologise for the confusion between "copyrighted" and "copyrighted, with permissions granted". I'll update the OP.

(For The Record: I am submitting a film for this, but do not qualify for any votes or awards)

Edit: Things like this are good to bring up, for possible future competitions. Trying to keep it as simple as possible still leaves room for details.

Zensteve said:
With genre in hand, you'll have 6 weeks (an astonishingly long time) to come up with an original story that is no longer than 5 minutes in length.

Does the five minutes include the opening and closing credits?

Zen...can you believe this is the first time that I'm looking at this topic?!? :(

I've been so busy that I won't be able to enter this one, but I can't wait to enter the next one. I'll be sure to be on the lookout for it! :) By the way...GREAT IDEA to get us board memebers cranking out some new stuff!

man ten more days till the next competition...? I say we either end voting soon, or release teh criteria for the next competition like..really soon.

Maybe ten days isnt so bad, but im anxious since i couldnt do the first one.

Back