Lens filters

Hey guys. I'm planning on getting a new lens for my dslr. Looking at the Canon 50mm f/1.8.

I also want to get a circular polarizer or an nd filter. Any suggestions on relatively cheap filters that look decent? I still am learning a lot about them, so any insight about these filters would be great!

definitely invest in the 50mm 1.8 such a good lens for the price, built like an absolute piece of crap but for the price you get amazing quality shots. i've used mine for all sorts of video and photography stuff, and its the sort of lens you just always keep in your kit bag just on the off chance!

well ND and Polarizer do different things, i havent used a polarizer but i intend to get one soon, how much is your budget on a filter? what do you need one for? that way you can narrow it down, not in that particular order either...

well ND and Polarizer do different things, i havent used a polarizer but i intend to get one soon, how much is your budget on a filter? what do you need one for? that way you can narrow it down, not in that particular order either...

I want one so I can control the image easier when shooting outside. They both bring out the sky really well. My budget would probably be $100 max.

I want one so I can control the image easier when shooting outside. They both bring out the sky really well. My budget would probably be $100 max.

well im not a professional so dont take my word for it, but i bought 2 ND filters so i could control the amount of light going into my camera, because No'1 it was hazy, No'2 i couldnt get any DOP on my subject, i just bought a hoya 16x ND filter from AVIDES, for £36, havent used it yet but im guessing it will block alot more light than my other Tiffen filter.

the only reason i intend to get a polarizer is to make the sky bluer for my photos not too sure about filming, hopefully someone here will have used both and can give you more info..

ND cuts light, Polariser cuts polarised reflections (as well as light), which in turn makes reflections on car windows (for example) pretty much gone, and makes the sky darker.

For example with a Polariser:
800px-CircularPolarizer.jpg

500px-Polarizer_Through_Glass.jpg

Polarisers often cut 2 stops of light as well, but it depends on your filter.

NDs only cut light. They will make everything darker, unless you get a grad ND. You can get NDs in all sorts of strengths from .3 (1 stop) to 1.8 (6 stops) and in fact, I've recently seen NDs that cut up to 10 stops of light.

Last edited:
Back