Budget fast manual/old lenses for DSLR work! (READ: Cheap!)

I'm trying to build a decent set of old manual lenses for video and also still photography purposes. I'll be using it on my Canon t3i/600D, but keeping them for future cameras I may rent/buy.

We all know the benefits of old manual lenses for video. Older lenses, particulalry the ones mad for manual focusing, have great and smooth focus throws because they were made for manual focusing, often times is smooth and a nice long throw as opposed to new autofocus lenses that have shorter focus throws and tiny rings that are hard to turn (Canon EF 50mm II f1.8)

I did a search and didn't find much on good budget manual lenses for DSLR shooting (or other camera systems with interchangeable lenses). I am hoping we can all pool our knowledge together and hopefully share recommendations.

Some interesting ones that I've found, correct me if I'm wrong about any of them. I'm sure there are plenty of other brands that can be adapted Canon DSLR's too!

50mm lenses: 'cause everyone needs a decent 50mm!

Pentax Asahi Takamur 50mm lenses. I think there are 4 different versions of the f1.4 version, all get great reviews. However, the f1.7 gets good reviews too and is slightly cheaper.

Pros:
Cheap ($50 - $100)
Fast (f1.4)
Sharp/Great performance (google for reviews)

Cons:
Focus ring goes the opposite way (pretty much a dealbreaker for me)
Radioactive Thorium Coating (probably not a concern, studies indicate no issues. Depends on how paranoid you are)

Nikon/Nikkor 50mm lenses.
Three different versions, from oldest to newest Non AI (AKA Pre AI), AI and AIS

Pros:
Cheap (depends on the version/speed 1.2 can get a bit pricey)
Fast (f1.2 - f2)

Cons:
Focus the wrong way
Can be hard to find sometimes

Carl Zeiss T Planar 50mm.
The f1.7 is around $200 and gets great reviews
The f1.4 is around $350 - $500

Pros:
Focus the right way
Zeiss reputation/resale value

Cons:
None that I can think of really.

35mm lenses 35mm focal length:

Pentax Asahi 35mm f2. think there are 2 versions of the f2 variety.

Pros:
Cheap
Fast

Cons:
Focus ring goes the opposite way
Radioactive Thorium Coating (probably not a concern, studies indicate no issues. Depends on how paranoid you are)

Thats pretty much what I've found from my limited research. I'd love to hear some other recommendations too. All focal lengths and zooms welcome, I'd actually love to get a cheap but good telephoto manual zoom to adapt to my t3i/600D preferably in the 50/70mm - 200/300mm range, if anyone knows of any?

Remember: Cheap, fast, good quality, bang for your buck!

yes i only own vintage lenses...i bought my t3i with body only

here are some lenses that you have missed..
Sears mc (multi coated) yes sears..these are really good lenses highly sought after...i have 1
Helios i also have one of these i use this as much as i can.
Asahi Takamur smc (make sure you get the smc) these are rising in price..i have 3 now and i love em.
rikennon good lense, you can still find them around for a good price.
Vivatar another good lense i have a 135mm and love it...
jupiter..these are verry high priced but i heard well worth it...

from 15mm to 28,30mm lengths are high in price..my rikenon is a 28mm but i want a 15mm or a fish eye

stay away from zeiss!!! unless you can afford costly mistakes....there is a lot of confusion and issues on who actually made these whan and what model #s are what.
haminar and Hanimex stay away!! i got sucker and bought 1..the seller was crummy and so is this lense..it is garbage...

I only use 42m mounts..they are the easist to put on the camera with the adaptor.

Last edited:
yes i only own vintage lenses...i bought my t3i with body only

here are some lenses that you have missed..
Sears mc (multi coated) yes sears..these are really good lenses highly sought after...i have 1
Helios i also have one of these i use this as much as i can.
Asahi Takamur smc (make sure you get the smc) these are rising in price..i have 3 now and i love em.
rikennon good lense, you can still find them around for a good price.
Vivatar another good lense i have a 135mm and love it...
jupiter..these are verry high priced but i heard well worth it...

from 15mm to 28,30mm lengths are high in price..my rikenon is a 28mm but i want a 15mm or a fish eye

stay away from zeiss!!! unless you can afford costly mistakes....there is a lot of confusion and issues on who actually made these whan and what model #s are what.
haminar and Hanimex stay away!! i got sucker and bought 1..the seller was crummy and so is this lense..it is garbage...

I only use 42m mounts..they are the easist to put on the camera with the adaptor.

Thanks!

Can you go into more detail about the Sears MC? Which one do you have etc?

And the Helios too? Actually, can you list each one you have that you mentioned? Thanks!

Also, what is wrong with Zeiss? It sounded like you were saying to stay away from Zeiss in general? I was actually about to get a 50mm 1.7 T* Planar, the reviews I've read are great for them:

http://www.canon5dtips.com/review/50mm-duel-zeiss-50mm-1-7-planar-t-vs-canon-50mm-1-4/

I've also been reading about the Pentacon f1.7 50mm ($55ish locally on ebay) which seems good. And the Horusbennu 50mm 1.7 (Korean lens, $55 new from ebay) which surprisingly sound quite capable.

I have a full set of the Takumars, only need 2 or 3 lenses to complete the set of every model they made (of the "super" Takumar). The only lenses I shoot on currently.

I was considering the Takumars, the 50mm 1.4 and the 35mm 2. Which ones do you have and what do you use them on?

The zenitar 16mm m42 can be useful. Might need a medium easy tweak to get infinity focus, but it looks pretty good.

Nice one, thanks. That looks to be a handy little superwide option. I'm going to have to read some reviews of that!

I have the 28mm 3.5, 35mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 1.8, 135mm 3.5, 135mm 2.5, 200mm 4
I use a same era Vivatar 105mm 2.8 as my "Portrait" lens. In look it's very close to the Takumars.

I use them on a 5dmk2. I'd still like to have the 35mm 2 and the 85mm 1.9 Just haven't been able to get them to the top of the budget list yet.

I have the 28mm 3.5, 35mm 3.5, 50mm 1.4, 55mm 1.8, 135mm 3.5, 135mm 2.5, 200mm 4
I use a same era Vivatar 105mm 2.8 as my "Portrait" lens. In look it's very close to the Takumars.

I use them on a 5dmk2. I'd still like to have the 35mm 2 and the 85mm 1.9 Just haven't been able to get them to the top of the budget list yet.

Nice set.

I was considering few Takumars but the focus direction is a deal breaker for me.

DO you store them away from your bedroom? Or I should just ask about that 50mm 1.4?

That Vivitar, it isn't the 2.5 macro? (I just missed out on getting one of them for $150 the other week :( )

Every time I work with my DP it takes about 30 minutes on the first day for him to "get it" that they go that direction (he's used to Nikon and Cinema glass). As long as all the lenses you use on a shoot go the same way I don't see it as an issue. If you had to constantly flip back and forth from clockwise to counter and back I can see it getting annoying.

Every time I work with my DP it takes about 30 minutes on the first day for him to "get it" that they go that direction (he's used to Nikon and Cinema glass). As long as all the lenses you use on a shoot go the same way I don't see it as an issue. If you had to constantly flip back and forth from clockwise to counter and back I can see it getting annoying.

Pretty much, just annoying. Plus I'm still a newbie.

Annoying, sure, but calling it a "deal breaker" seems a bit overboard...

Not really overboard, I just don't buy them because of that, it's no big deal really.

Thanks!

Can you go into more detail about the Sears MC? Which one do you have etc?

And the Helios too? Actually, can you list each one you have that you mentioned? Thanks!

Also, what is wrong with Zeiss? It sounded like you were saying to stay away from Zeiss in general? I was actually about to get a 50mm 1.7 T* Planar, the reviews I've read are great for them:

http://www.canon5dtips.com/review/50mm-duel-zeiss-50mm-1-7-planar-t-vs-canon-50mm-1-4/

sorry for the late responce...life issues going on..LOL

The Focal mc (mc or smc multi coat or super multicoated lense) !!!I MISSSPOKE ITS A KMART LENSE!!! i have this sought after 28mm m42 mount lense...i thought it was going to be my prime but found out it is a awsome and now hard to find lense, so i only bust it out every so often.

helios or zenit russian lense..im pretty sure that are made by the same manf..they are really great copies of zeise but without the geussing and drama of buying the correct zeise.....this is my primary lense because there are so many out there. a little pricey because most dealers are from russia, so you are paying an arm and a leg for shipping. but these should be a primary lens in your bag...

super takumar i have 3 and love all 3. but they are all the 55mm. i wanted a back up or 2 just incase...was going to sell one but changed my mind since the prices have sky rocketed.

as for ziese..there are problems identifying which model #s are from which sources...zise split and some how 2 companys were making them..some bad some good...its to hard to tell and too much work to find out...

on a side note as you research. alot of lenses that were made, were 3rd partied out. so some companies that were compeating were actually selling the same lense, just different packaging. here is where i get alot on my info

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-60d-rebel-t2i-eos-550d-hd/484807-top-4-vintage-lenses.html
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-60d-rebel-t2i-eos-550d-hd/484807-top-4-vintage-lenses-2.html

there is 1 really great site..but i got to look for it..but here ya go!

found it!
http://www.mflenses.com/
http://forum.mflenses.com/

Last edited:
Back