• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch my action short film "BACKPACK"

What is going on with those bobbing letterbox bars?!!

The camera's all over the place.
No action happens in the 4min action short until after the first min.
Pistols don't kick that much. Shooter needs to learn gun control.
Why are the runner's hands flipping up over his head when he runs? Is his head being attacked by bees?
Why would the runner stop and stare at the wall when there is a shooter behind him?

Well, it's a zero budget film, i had no steady cam rig, i only used a tripod a t3i conon, with a 18 to 55 zoom lens, the characters are ‎​just my friends there are not actors, the all idea was to see if i could pull of a fist fight scene, so after a 4hrs choroegraphy, i decided to shoot the next day and edited the day after, there isn't any story, it's ‎​just a test work, anyways thanks 4 the critic, no doubt my next action will bε way better

Is the dancing letterbox from stabilizing the footage in post? very distracting. I liked your actors and the location and color grade. Action was pretty good. Showing some potential here. Get a story!

i get the footage are very shaky at first and very distracting, am sorry guys, the next will bε far better,following characters with a tripod are very difficult to control.

the bouncing letter box would be referring to the black rectangles at the top and bottom of the screen that keep moving up and down during the video, any reason why its doing that? What editing software are you using? Is the footage itself smaller than the size of the composition?

I know what a letter box is, it not shaking last time i checked, and the footage is the same size with the composition. I use adobe premiere and after effect with magic bullet. I'll check youtube again, sowi for the inconvenience.

I know what a letter box is, it not shaking last time i checked, and the footage is the same size with the composition. I use adobe premiere and after effect with magic bullet. I'll check youtube again, sowi for the inconvenience.

It was a 4hrs choreography, didn't put much work, if u need the kind of location, come to Lagos, Nigeria, we af a lot of wat u see every where.

Youtube really mess the stuff up, my letter box isn't suppose to move, I'll try uploading it again
You added a matte to the footage and then added some sort of smoothcam or stabilizing filter after the fact, correct? Add the smoothcam filter first, export as a quicktime movie, bring it back in, and then add the matte.

Last edited:
I know some of the criticisms are harsh but most are relevant. That's how you learn. Take what you learned from this and make more movies. You have some natural talent now read as much as you can and makes lots of not so great movies before you make a great one.

Thanks very much, for the criticizm, really appreciate. Like i said b4 it's a test project, wanted to see if i could pull off a fist fight scene. Am working on a better action soon... I added letter boxing with after effect, but i didn't try to stabilize it in post, don't know why youtube did that to the file, cos it's playing well on my system

The negatives are where it's at. People just saying it's good or they liked it, is great for a morale boost, but the crunch is in the negatives.

I liked it, the negatives are the letterbox thing and the unrealistic gunwork Artistically though i liked it. I'm a screenwriter so I can't comment on camerawork. Your friends did OK on the acting, it's good that you have a little crew together already. keep working, I see lots of potential here.

Did you make the music yourself too?

Back