Sony SLT-A77?

Have been browsing through alternatives to the standard choice of DSLR film makers - I'm talking the Canon 5d mkii, 7d, GH2 etc, and came across the Sony SLT-A77.

It seems to be in the same price range as the 7d, but I've watched a few samples and clips on YouTube and have been VERY impressed with what I have seen out of the box.

Anyone have any experiences with this camera? Any succesful examples of it's use?

Hi londonfilmmaker - The £759 A77 is a great still camera - but it has challenges in video mode:

- automatic audio gain control only - zero control of sound levels
- video autofocus is disabled in manual exposure modes
- moire (not as bad as the £1499 5DMk II, but see the green stripes on red brick roofs in this video)
- ISO limited to 1600

I would seriously consider this camera for still photography, but, in my view, it is not really a serious player for video (unless you already have Sony/Minolta lenses and are willing to put up with its limitations).

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
I shot a short film with the A77

Hello,

I am shooting with the Sony A77. I selected it mostly due to the glass that I already own. Back in August of this year (2012) I competed in a 48 hour film competition with the A77.
I can say that the A77 does quite well in the scenarios I encountered. Having shot on the Canon 7D for several projects, there are several things I love about the A77 that the Canon does not do.

The two top reasons I enjoy using this camera are:
In camera stabilization (this is great because ALL lenses gain IS immediately. This lowers the cost of new glass)

Focus Peaking (EXCELLENT)
The A77 has the ability to have a focus halo in camera shown on the display. This allows you to ensure sharp focus without having to have a large monitor. I cant tell you how much this saved my shot when I was shooting on a small jib without a monitor. I simply used the flip down rear LCD (which is great also) and looked for the halo/ peaking around the subject of focus.

I did not have issues with sound as I used a XOOM H4N as part of my sound workflow.
However...
There were several instances where the boom operator/ sound engineers audio wasn't appealing. Guess what? The A77 audio was good. There are several articles about how to force the gain to "play nice" online. Honestly, I simply prefer to use a separate sound device from the camera. I cant imagine having an audio cable in my way when I'm shooting handheld.

My film received an honorable mention for Cinematography, sound, wardrobe and writing.
http://www.facebook.com/orlando48hf...comment_id=89009743&offset=0&total_comments=4

You can see the film here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNwhmPJ0Fc

A re-edit (final) is privately available for anyone interested.

Enjoy.

Back