I can't afford every camera ever made...

I used to provide full service video production but now I plan to focus on image acquisition only - DP/Camera operator. Most of my work was with Panasonic cameras (DVX100, HVX200, Varicam) but I am familiar with some Sony cameras(EX3, PDW700). I guess I'll have to learn DSLR.

With a mind numbing variety of cameras out there are there cameras that you've found to be more desirable by clients? I have a friend in Las Vegas who says he always gets calls for the Sony EX3 because it is SDI capable and has time code.

I guess it depends on how you market yourself.

I love my EX3 (SDI out w/ Nanoflash is a great combo); however it will be soon here that I make the plunge into the world of RED. If you are planning on only concentrating on image acquisition then I suggest you get very familiar with 4K (camera res) and higher units such as the EPIC, Alexa, etc.

You can't afford to buy every camera made or every camera that
a client wants or you feel is right for the project. But you CAN rent
the right camera. That is what I do. I can offer any client any camera
because I rent what they want. And charge them for it.

I think it very much depends on your clientelle.

Are you looking to DP for narrative work? Or are you looking to camera operate for more corporate type things?

Camera Operating for corporates or in essence 'videography' could easily get away with an EX3, but again it depends on your clientelle. You may find a Red more suited to your client base.

In terms of being an actual DP for narrative work, IMO investing in cameras is a false economy. There's something new every year and Producers either want the newest, or the cheapest. Even better if the newest is the cheapest. Buying a camera to DP with means you're stuck into paying that camera off and you'll use it so it gets use. Being a DP is about choosing the format that's right for the job/story, not about forcing a camera choice because you need to justify your purchase.
Fight for your format, don't accept DSLR because the Producer doesn't want to pay for it.

Of course that is very different to the world of videography - the needs of event shooting or corporate interview shooting are very different to the needs of narrative cinematography.

Renting is an option. I prefer a camera I'm comfortable with. Nothing like reading the manual the night before a shoot and getting lost in menus on the day of the shoot. It' is still a viable solution. I think I should at least own one camera.
I would love to get into shooting Narratives but corporate has been the majority of my work. Red, Epic and Alexa are out of my price range.
As for DSLR, I see videographers using them everywhere.

Thank you all for advice.

Nothing like reading the manual the night before a shoot and getting lost in menus on the day of the shoot.
That's what your camera assistants are there for ;)

As for DSLR, I see videographers using them everywhere.
They certainly give decent images, especially for the price. I think it really depends on who your clientelle are and who your 'production company' is going to be. If you're going to be a one-man band type thing and shoot, edit and deliver it you can probably shoot on whatever you want. If you're looking to simply cam operate, you're probably going to either need to employ an editor, in which case you can then discuss workflows and which cameras you are going to be comfortable not only operating but also with the post workflow. Alternatively, you're going to be employed as a freelancer or full time as part of a different company, in which case they will likely either have cameras, or specify the type of camera you'll need to use that matches with everything else they do.

Back