The Burning Question

Okay, so there are probably a number of burning questions, like, what about XLR connections, etc?

But the subject of this thread is: what about 60fps in 1080P?

Really, I don't know how much I care about it because if I were actually making films, I don't know if I would ever actually employ slow motion in a film, myself. I love, love, love how gorgeous good quality slow motion looks, but, aesthetically and intellectually, I don't think I care for it much in narrative fiction film. However, I do know damn well that I would at least like the option of employing it.

So, why are the camera manufacturers so reluctant to give us 60fps in 1080P, as opposed to 720P?

Yes, I'm sure the stock answer, when talking about DSLRs, anyway, is that the audience for camera manufacturers consists largely of still photographers, and they don't give a rat's ass about frames per second etc.

Okay, no doubt a valid point.

Still, it must be clear to them (the manufacturers) that much of their audience consists of videographers who want 60fps in 1080P. So, is it a matter of being cost prohibitive, an engineering difficulty, or is it wanton indifference?

Am I reading it right that the GH3 willl offer 60fps in 1080P?

Well, if so, good on Panasonic, at least.

Or, am I just confused? You see 60fps and you see 60P mentioned. What's the difference?

Anyway.

Last edited:
So, why are the camera manufacturers so reluctant to give us 60fps in 1080P, as opposed to 720P?

Yes, I'm sure the stock answer, when talking about DSLRs, anyway, is that the audience for camera manufacturers consists largely of still photographers, and they don't give a rat's ass about frames per second etc.

I'd heard that the camera's cpu simply couldn't process that much data without frying to a crisp, which is why even the 720p at 60fps was only available on smaller crop-sized sensors, such as 7D & T2i, and not the full-frame 5D.

I'm sure as soon as it's feasible to do so, camera manufacturers would add that ability in in a heartbeat - anything to stay ahead of the pack.

I'd heard that the camera's cpu simply couldn't process that much data without frying to a crisp, which is why even the 720p at 60fps was only available on smaller crop-sized sensors, such as 7D & T2i, and not the full-frame 5D...

That may be true of sad Canon CPUs. The soon-to-be-available full frame Sony A99 offers 1080/60p (60p = 60fps progressive), and, richy is correct, the GH3 will offer it as well.

Nikon and Canon are actually behind the pack in video signal processing, and have been for a while (see moire).

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Back