• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Science Fiction / Action Feature Trailer Voice of the Vespers Feedback

Hello all!
4 years ago, I began writing the science fiction / action feature, Voice of the Vespers.
Now, I've almost completed the film. It was one of the first things I've made, but I'm pretty happy being able to put together a whole feature.

I've put together a trailer to gain interest in the film, but I intend on making a few more.

Based on the trailer, what do you think the film is about, and would you be interested in seeing it?
What would you add to make it more clear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CvLfGNJxcU

Thanks for the feedback and your time, and I really appreciate this community. It gets lonely in post-production as I'm sure ya'll know. :)

It looks like a sci-fi film by the same people that brought us INK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGeErufQdY

Full length feature (when you have the time ;) ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUyx8S6b9lg

Based on the trailer, what do you think the film is about, and would you be interested in seeing it?
What would you add to make it more clear?
It looks like it's about unidentified Party A is attempting to secure "the vespers" from unidentified Party B, along the way there's sci-fi magic mumbo-jumbo with some spirituality tied in.
Some action.
A whole lotta drama, ie angry people yelling at each other over stuff I really don't understand.

What would make it more clear is to somehow identify good guys from bad guys and suggest (more) what the value of "the vespers" are to either party.

GL

It looks like a sci-fi film by the same people that brought us INK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBGeErufQdY

Full length feature (when you have the time ;) ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUyx8S6b9lg

It looks like it's about unidentified Party A is attempting to secure "the vespers" from unidentified Party B, along the way there's sci-fi magic mumbo-jumbo with some spirituality tied in.
Some action.
A whole lotta drama, ie angry people yelling at each other over stuff I really don't understand.

What would make it more clear is to somehow identify good guys from bad guys and suggest (more) what the value of "the vespers" are to either party.

GL

Thanks for the feedback! I'll totally use that to guide me on making the next trailer. Who's bad and who's good is really important, and I agree that its too vague. :)

As far as plot/genre that's what I was going for so awesome.

I actually checked out INK on netflix and thought it was great! I really like the comparison because that means I'm at least getting close to making decent indie film.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
-Matt

Do you want honest, daggers to the heart, you're going to hate me forever type feedback or polite, make yourself feel good feedback?

First of all, major congrats on completing the feature! That is a huge accomplishment, and you should feel good about it.

As for my feedback on your trailer, I have to be honest, it confuses me. I don't know who the hero of the story is, and I don't really know what the story is. Something about mind-replacement, or something? Something kinda like Total Recall, except on a global conspiracy level? Also, I would lose the epic music, cuz you know the movie won't live up to the same Baysian level of intensity.

Do you want honest, daggers to the heart, you're going to hate me forever type feedback or polite, make yourself feel good feedback?

Rip it to shreds! The only way I've ever gotten anything good is by people not holding back. I'm going to make another trailer soon, so the more feedback, the better!
Thanks,
-Matt

First of all, major congrats on completing the feature! That is a huge accomplishment, and you should feel good about it.

As for my feedback on your trailer, I have to be honest, it confuses me. I don't know who the hero of the story is, and I don't really know what the story is. Something about mind-replacement, or something? Something kinda like Total Recall, except on a global conspiracy level? Also, I would lose the epic music, cuz you know the movie won't live up to the same Baysian level of intensity.

I totally hear you on ditching the epic music. I've gotten a bit of confusion on a lot of feedback as well. I want to explain the story, but not give too much away like most blockbuster trailers now a days. I see a trailer and I'm like cool, I don't have to watch that movie now :) I'm making a new trailer and I want to tell more about the story and plot line, because your guess wasn't even close, and that's a problem for me to fix. Thanks a ton for the feedback!

crazy ambitious project, matt! congrats on getting a feature wrapped. no easy feat.

I'd agree with Cracker that the trailer is a bit of a shotgun blast of information that lacks a sense of story cohesion. It's all very impressive, with the special FX and scope of production, but some of the dialog and deliveries from the actors felt a bit flat. But that could be because they are taken out of context from the actual film. Focusing on a main character might be a good place to start, if you were considering a version 2.0 trailer.

Got a release date in mind? I'd give it a look!

Back