Recommended hacks for GH2?

OK, so for any GH2 techies, can you suggest the best hack for a GH2. Currently I have a 30Mb/s 32GB sd card. So I'll be limited by the hacks I can use. I may get a 45Mb/s SD card shortly.

As a benchmark quick calculation tells me that at 24bit colors and 1080x1920 at 24fps the raw data is 142 Mb/s.

And 720x1280 at the same settings would be 63Mb/s.

I don't know how AVCHD does it's compression but at less than 24Mb/s is a lot less than the raw data.

If they ever bring out a 256Mb/s sd card then I could record some raw footage until then what hacks would you recommend? (Does anyone know if the GH2 has a top speed - could it theoretically cope with 256Mb/s? Mind you a two hour film would fill a terrabyte at this rate!)

It depends on what you intend to record. In my opinion, in terms of image quality, Sedna AQ1 is the best patch - and for many other people too. But it is a "card eater", in a approximately ratio 1GB / 1 minute. So with a 32GB card, you have only 32 minutes to shoot. I'm making just quick tests for my film and I already stocked 70 GB of video files. It's also a problem of HD storage.

So if you need a less memory eater and if your card is not so fast, I recommend the flow motion 2.02 which is very good. But you have to test, you have to feel your own impressions. Watch videos made with each patch and see what they can do.

And don't buy the 45mbps card. There are a lot of users reporting issues with this card. I got the 32GB/95mbps and 64/95mbps, both great. :)

Edit: the main problem with a slow card: you will not be able to span files, it means when the max lenght of a file is reached (4GB), the card can't start automatically another one. If you don't need it, maybe you can use any hack even with your currently 30mbps.

Last edited:
It depends on what you intend to record. In my opinion, in terms of image quality, Sedna AQ1 is the best patch - and for many other people too. But it is a "card eater", in a approximately ratio 1GB / 1 minute. So with a 32GB card, you have only 32 minutes to shoot. I'm making just quick tests for my film and I already stocked 70 GB of video files. It's also a problem of HD storage.

So if you need a less memory eater and if your card is not so fast, I recommend the flow motion 2.02 which is very good. But you have to test, you have to feel your own impressions. Watch videos made with each patch and see what they can do.

And don't buy the 45mbps card. There are a lot of users reporting issues with this card. I got the 32GB/95mbps and 64/95mbps, both great. :)

Edit: the main problem with a slow card: you will not be able to span files, it means when the max lenght of a file is reached (4GB), the card can't start automatically another one. If you don't need it, maybe you can use any hack even with your currently 30mbps.

+1

A good hack that is reliable and efficient but also great quality is Driftwoods spammybitchup.

Back