New Camera

Hello!
I am sure I am not the first who asks this question (and for sure not the last one).
For a while I was shooting my videos on Canon HF200 but it doesn't fit me no more as I am looking for something more serious.
so my questions are:

1.DSLR or HD camcoder? My budget is 3000-4000$ and i am looking for a long-term investment.
I am looking for something that i can upgrade step by step ( i mean decent default kits etc )
I'll be shooting music videos and of course a short movie in a near future.

2.Sound.Also can you recommend some basic sound kits.Not necessarily in the same budget.Just something i can start with.

Hoping for your help
Cheers, Andy

For $3k there's the Black Magic Cinema Camera. It shoots RAW 2.5k video, but storage space can get expensive since RAW files are large and it requires SSDs as storage in camera.

Canon 5D mark 3, GH3, a used FS100 are also all worth looking at.

Last edited:
I've looked into Blackmagic reviews and i'm impressed tbh.Specially with this one https://vimeo.com/49875510
But some people complain about the battery what's the issue with that?
RAW is awesome but how much space you need for it and in general is it complicated to work with?
And is ProRes somewhere near the RAW quality?

I've looked into Blackmagic reviews and i'm impressed tbh.Specially with this one https://vimeo.com/49875510
But some people complain about the battery what's the issue with that?
RAW is awesome but how much space you need for it and in general is it complicated to work with?
And is ProRes somewhere near the RAW quality?

Andy - the BMCC footage in the link you posted was shot in ProRes. In fact, a lot of really impressive BMCC footage we've seen to date as been shot in ProRes, not RAW - principally because of workflow issues.

I predict that most BMCC DPs will shoot day-to-day in ProRes or DNxhD and save RAW for special projects, when clients insist on it and are willing to pay for it - or for their "cinema masterpiece".

As for the battery issue - the internal battery is not removable and only lasts 90 minutes - but 3rd party manufacturers have already come up with an external solution that should quadruple your shooting time.

All of that said, going straight from a consumer camcorder like the HF200 to the BMCC would be a challenging transition, but one that you should be able to make if you are fully aware of what you're getting into.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

All of that said, going straight from a consumer camcorder like the HF200 to the BMCC would be a challenging transition, but one that you should be able to make if you are fully aware of what you're getting into.

I forgot to mention that i worked in a production where we used canon 5d mark II but i never fully owned something like this : )

Thx for your tips.

I don't know your level of experience, but as general advice, I'd steer clear of the Blackmagic Cam if you're only upgrading from an HF200.

If you know how to create an image, then go right ahead, but don't fall into the trap that many do, and that a lot have already fallen into regarding the BMCC, that the camera you buy has any affect on the quality of your images.

For $3-4k you could buy a 60D and 2-4 nice lenses and make much better looking stuff than a newbie with a BMCC and no/cheap lenses.

Digital camera bodies these days are kind of like film stock - each one has their own unique qualities, but each gives you an image, and your lensing and your lighting is what actually makes the image great.

There is a huge gap between consumer and prosumer audio gear. Once you step into even the most basic level of professional audio equipment you are making a "serious" investment. Just keep in mind that audio gear (with the possible exception of the audio recorder) will last you many, many years. I have mics that I've been using for 20 years, and one for about 35 years.

For about $600 to $800 you can get a very solid prosumer production sound kit. The Audio Technica AT875 and Rode NTG-1 are good low-budget shotguns, and Tascam makes to passable low-budget recorder (DR-100 and DR-40). You will also need a boom-pole, a shock-mount, wind protection and cables. A case and battery packs for the audio recorder are HIGHLY recommended.

A always, I recommend that you hire a professional, or at the least, hook up with an ambitious audio up-and-comer. I also suggest that you rent rather than buy.

I would seriously consider the Canon 5DmkII. Prices are way down, and it still has that beautiful sensor that started all this madness. And it's much cheaper to set up than a BMCC. Don't forget, for three grand with the Black Magic, you *only* get the camera (and software). No lenses, and no hard drives (both for in-camera use and for storing the boat load of data you'll be generating).

For three grand you can get a 5DmkII and a couple of nice lenses, even buying completely new. The 24-105mm f/4L and a 50mm f/1.4 will get you started nicely.

Oh, and the above tips on audio are very good, listen to him! I can definitely endorse the AT875, that's a lot of mic for the price. I've also been using the Rode VideoMic Pro on my D7000, it's quite good for on-camera work.

Back