Focusing while shooting video

I'm having trouble keeping things in focus while I shoot. The problem is, it'll look in focus on the LCD, but when I play it back on my computer, it's soft. I can get a bit better result if I use magnification before I start shooting to dial in the focus a bit more, but I can't do that while shooting, so if I pan to a new subject, or the subject moves it's a guessing game.

Do I need to get a field monitor? Or a follow focus? Or is there a strategy to do this on camera?

Do I need to get a field monitor? Or a follow focus? Or is there a strategy to do this on camera?

An external monitor can help, sure.

A follow-focus could also be useful.

You could also try stopping down the aperture, for a deeper DoF. Obviously you'll no longer get that deep blurry background, but you'll have more objects staying focused as you pan about.

Magic Lantern software (free) has some focus assist functions built into it. Maybe try that.

You might want to play around with a DoF calculator (like this, for example) to see just how much leeway you have at any given setting.

Practice makes perfect. :cool:

Agree with Steve, fundamental answer is practice, but a focus assist (available from a good monitor or ML) will help. If it's a planned focus pull "I'm going to rack focus from the person in the background to the person in the foreground", a FF unit is invaluable, thought are DIY ways to do it too.

Alright. Practice it is. I've got a cable on the way that'll let me hook up my Nexus 7 and use it as a field monitor. Hopefully that'll help too. Just gotta find a way to mount it to my rig, seems like every little piece of metal (rail, cage, etc) costs a minimum of $400. Maybe I should just open up a metal shop, it'd probably be cheaper.

If you ever find a way to put ML focus assist(s) to a good use make sure to tell me. I sure as hell can't. The split/screen is approximative at best (no to mention you cannot pay attention to what the fuck is it you're actually filming when it's on). The edges are even worse. Unless you're in specific and advantageous conditions, it's just not helpful.

I'm not dissing ML, they do a fantastic job and I often wonder how I would do without it.

What I do is focus using magnification on simple shots without much moving.
For shots where there is movement, I go with hyperfocal.

The Small HD DP-6 has a pretty usable focus assist. It places a sharp, bright white line around everything in the focal plane. It kind of outlines it. The original version distorted the picture so much it was hard to use, but a firmware upgrade they put out a while back made it pretty nice.

Of course it's also (by the time you get the needed accessories) a $1000 monitor.

The DP6 has a great Focus Assist, as well as punch-in to be able to see better what is in focus.

It also helps to practice a lot, and train your eye to see what is in focus and what isn't.

I'd also suggest getting a Focus Puller ;)

Put a black cloth over your head, covering the camera too. It's almost impossible to monitor your image with other lights reflecting on. Even with professional external monitors, directors need a dark place to watch.

Back