Question about aperture diffraction.

I just found out about this recently and it may explain some of my footage. So the best f stops to stay at are f4, f8, f11, and f16, is that right? I was told that because those ones have the least diffraction, if that's right.

Not sure on diffraction. Chromatic aberration was always what I heard. The point being that fully closed (F16, F22) has issues just like wide open does. You generally try to do the bulk of your shooting (especially if crispness and high resolution are desired) at between 4 and 8. Pretty much every lens will perform at it's best in that range. Some are still very good below that, some are still very good above, but for pretty much any lens you'll get the best of what that lens has (again as far as resolution) in that range.

I'll +1 Gonzo that 4-8 is best. Avoid past 8 whenever you can, that's where ND comes in.

Of course, you can't always do that, if you need to stop down to f/22 or open up to f/1.4. Ideals are ideals, and not always obtainable on a budget. It's not worth canceling a shoot because you can't hit that range or anything.

I'll +1 Gonzo that 4-8 is best. Avoid past 8 whenever you can, that's where ND comes in.

Of course, you can't always do that, if you need to stop down to f/22 or open up to f/1.4. Ideals are ideals, and not always obtainable on a budget. It's not worth canceling a shoot because you can't hit that range or anything.

Absolutely. Just after the fact when it's a little soft people have to realize that was the trade off for getting the shot in the lighting conditions you had to work with.

Okay thanks. I was told before that the more closed it is, the deeper DOF you get. I did some practice shots at f22, but they seem just as blurry as wise open aperture. So basically 4-8 then.

Okay thanks. What's the best f setting, for hyperfocal, for getting sharp skyline shots, with as many buildings in focus as you can? Or is it f8 as well? I have tried but it seems you have to go above 8 which seems to have results in some diffraction.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. What's the best f setting, for hyperfocal, for getting sharp skyline shots, with as many buildings in focus as you can? Or is it f8 as well? I have tried but it seems you have to go above 8 which seems to have results in some diffraction.

You have a pair of eyes, why don't you shoot at different settings and find out yourself what works got you?

Back