Herky-Jerky/Choppy Video...What is That?

What is that herky-jerkyness in the video examples below?

Is it also a CMOS artifact?

In Philip Bloom's first samples of the 5D III, I see this herky-jerkyness. It's slight, I guess, but annoying to me. So, like in his video below, starting at about 02:00 with the boat moving across frame, it stands out quite a bit to me. It stands out quite a bit in other shots as well in which something is moving in the shot or the camera itself is moving, I suppose? Is he sliding or panning the camera slightly? In anycase, the boat is moving across the frame and there is a sort of choppiness to it. It's not smoothly continuous like I would think anyone would want it to be for most purposes.

Philip Bloom's Canon 5Dmk3 video review

Too bad there aren't Vimeo wrap tags. =)

Here's another conspicuous example. Below is a video shot with the Canon Vixia HF R300 by k00lew. I guess it's pretty obvious that he's doing that handheld and there's plenty of shaky cam like you would expect. But that sure doesn't look like all that's going on to me. In particular, please take look at the bit with the flowers starting at about 1:00. As he pans the camcorder past the flowers there is some of that very prevalent choppiness that doesn't appear to me to be simply a matter of shakiness. Or no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyEkci9XIIc&feature=related

I have to ask because searching jello effect turned up enough, but choppy cam didn't seem to.

Is this something you software-skilled folks just get rid of in post?

If it is a CMOS artifact, then, or in anycase, are the CCD sensors free of it?

Any help is much appreciated. =)

Last edited:
Hmm...

Interesting examples. I see the "herky-jerky" effect you are talking about. I don't see how that would have anything to do with the camera. My best guess is that this is not something that you need to get rid of in post, but is something that was created in post.

In the first shot, it appears as though the camera is on a boat, headed in the opposite direction of the subject. And the footage looks like it's been sped-up.

In the second shot, besides the obvious pan/tilts, it looks like there are some pretty heavy zooms in there.

In neither case should such camera techniques produce the "herky-jerky" effect you've noticed. My best guess is that something else is going on, non-camera-related.

Just a guess.

BTW -- regular people would NEVER notice that. This conversation is strictly between filmmakers. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I like wheatgrinder's answer better. That makes sense. And this is why I'm careful to use phrases like "my best guess". :)

Last edited:
BTW -- regular people would NEVER notice that. This conversation is strictly between filmmakers. :)

=P :)

So it sounds like in the second example the shooter is doing some zooming and that is exacerbating the problem.

Muchas gracias, CF. =)

Ahhh, strobing. Hmmm.

So it sonds like you can control that and avoid it to some extent.

Muchas gracias, Wheat. =)

Back