How should I shoot this type of scene?

I'm shooting a protest for a feature I want to make in a couple of years. Only reason why is I need a protest and there is one going on now, about a day's drive away, so it works out. But since I am not allowed to show these people's faces in a movie legally, what do I do? I could shoot it out of focus, but then that makes a bad impression cause you got an out of focus shot. It's okay if there is a shallow focus, in the background of a shot, but to have everything out of focus makes a bad impression, when trying to sell your movie. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks.

Two ways spring to mind:

- You shoot from a rooftop/somewhere high and then, when you shoot your film proper, you have walk-ons form a mock crowd for closer shots.

- You arrive early, let people know that you're a low-budget film-maker and ASK if it's okay that they sign a waiver (so that you can use their image without paying). Those who sign, you can feature, and those who don't you edit out (or blur in the background via some editing programme).

But, I've never shot a crowd scene on the scale I'm imagining this to be.

Shoot the back of their heads, or shoot neck-down.

Or, take a couple friends who you can get releases from, shoot them in focus and have everyone else out of focus.

Or, shoot it all with soft focus and green screen in your character later.

Or, get a bunch of extras to fake a protest when you actually start to make the movie properluy.

Thanks. I think I will do the friend thing. Although I plan on using more shots than just one, I will have to find a reason for a particular person to be in focus for the plot. I wish I could shoot from above, but I don't think I will be able to get access from a rooftop when I arrive in a city I have never been to before.

But I'll see what I can do in the mean time. I can try to get waivers but there will be a few hundred people expected so far, and don't know where they will be in the crowd, whoever signs the waiver that is.

I' would just shoot the damn thing. Nobody is going to recognize themselves in it.

People are at the protest. They are going to be pissed off about whatever they are protesting against. They will give less that two sh*ts about your release waver.
Run up in front of the crowd. Bam. Record f**king thing for 10 seconds. Woosh, change the angle record other side. Pack your sh*t and get out. That's all you need. Gotta be fast. Steal those shots.

Or are you planning to set up some crazy ass dolly or some steadicam rig...
Once they'll see some d*ck with a camera, they will either:
A. Walk away
B. Will yell into the camera
C. Yell at you to get your "f*cking camera off of them".

Be fast and you'll be fine. Your movie isn't going to have an international multiplex theater release. You're spending too much on figuring out paperwork and not getting your shot.

Unless this is some lame ass protest, like an elderly crowd at a sausage factory.. which won't even be worth shooting.

Last edited:
Okay thanks! I only have a tripod now, and a homemade steadicam, which really isn't as good. Even holding the tripod and moving that works somewhat better in my opinion. I'm wondering since I do not have as much gear yet, what are some suggestions as to moving the camera, to get good production values for these shots? All my ideas would require gear I don't have, and I could substitute the steadicam, but I feel it won't look as good.

You can't have it all man. All those answers will come with your experience, trust me. Go and guerrilla shoot in your city. You can't learn that on indie talk, doesn't matter how many questions you ask.

I said about the release form/waiver because I assumed that this scene would be in a feature which may just find distribution. If someone ever chanced across seeing themselves in this film and then thought, "I should be paid for this..." they could SUE for considerable money.

If it's a feature-length student film, nobody will likely ever see it nor care. Film away.

Yeah it's a feature I want to hopefully seek distribution for in the future. I just have to get a shots over the next couple of years, because it all adds to production value such as this scene that would help the story. I saw tutorials on how you can blur out the background later. I can just shoot it normal perhaps and then blur out people later, but can that look natural to the audience?

The protest is also suppose to be happening in front of a building where the plot takes place. This particular protest will be happening outside of a couple of buildings as they move along. I could put the buildings in focus and try to keep them out, but in daytime, it's difficult cause of the sun.

u should shoot a wide shot, and if ur thinking of multiple takes, take their legs,hand, people reacting to the protest and what they protesting about, but if it was left to me il shoot every tin dont think any body would recognize their self, and move the camera a lot. hope that helps

Back