Using footage that is "Public Domain"?

Has anyone ever used any in a short? I found some archive footage of educational topics that are free to download and claim to be "public domain" so by the few minutes I read on the internet archive about it they look free to use. Any filmakers or shortmakers here ever used clips before?

I've never actually used public-domain media... but I am familiar with some of the online archives.

None of them guarantee that the media is 100% in the PD, and some of them are better than others at actually verifying what they collect. Many of the sites accept uploads from individuals that may (or may not) be verified by the archivists. They get a lot of new material daily.

Some of the archive sites (such as archive.org) add media to the collection that is copyrighted, but authorised for archiving/exposure by the content creators. That can lead to confusion among people browsing, especially when different parts of the site will have different rules and regulations for different categories.

Be careful.

If you want to be extra cautious, you might want to look at E&O insurance. (Errors & Ommision) When shopping your Zappa flick for a distributor, they may well require it anyway. I have no idea how much it runs (I make crap; not worthy of it) but you should definitely check.

:shock:

If you go to the right places they have fantastic stocks of royalty free clips. If you're doing high quality or high profile stuff I would recommend going to the archives of individual broadcasters but that will cost ya... by the minute! ;)

I came across some dated educational clips on archive.org, great footage such as the "duck and cover" films as seen in Bowling for Columbine. http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php

I intend on using it in a short for a Hi Fi company website, that would be commercial in nature, yet free to download or view, so I am if'ee about using it even though the clips appear to be ok to use.

In the Zappa Documentary, we have come across some archival footage from old tv show appearances and DAMN it's expensive! Per second even!

Do video/sound files from CNN and similar newscasts count as public domain? I'm interested in using some sound and possibly footage from the broadcasts in 1995 regarding NATO airstrikes in Kosovo.

You would have to get the rights from CNN to use their broadcast, however, if you could obtain the stock footage of that strike, you could create a dummy newscast using that footage.

Back