Tape data storage.

There’s another post that reminded me of a conundrum that I’ve been facing. It’s in two parts:
1. I have heard conflicting reports about importing and exporting to tape. I know that according to the specs for DV, it can go through at least a hundred (give or take) generations before there are visible imperfections from generation loss. However, this is just tape to tape recording, and I believe the process of importing and exporting is different. I’ve had editors tell me you can import and export material from and to tape and it’s the same as a generation. However I’ve also been told that because of the hardwire digital compression chip inside the camera, that ever time you record to tape the signal is processed by the chip, and the video is recompressed therefore making even one or two exports to tape as detrimental to the quality as analog. On the other hand, I have friends who say they’ve cloned tapes using two cameras with no effect on quality. Someone has to be wrong. If I import material, edit it, and then export back to tape, is there any quality loss?
2. DV = digital video = 0s and 1s in sequence in a linear tape format. I know there are tape storage devices for computers, but isn’t a DV tape essentially the same thing: 1s and 0s? Are there drives you can get that act as a data storage device using miniDV (preferably that can also import footage from tape also)? This is something I can record raw data onto for storage and also use like a miniDV VCR. Considering how big 10 minutes of imported footage is on the hard drive, these little miniDV tapes should be able to hold several tens gigabytes of info on one tape. This would be a great storage medium and wouldn’t be subject to scratches or other data loss problems that can happen with CDs or data DVDs.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Yup, DV is recorded on tape as digital 1s & 0s. When you import that into your computer via firewire you're making an exact copy, just as you would if you were making a copy of any other computer file. But, there could be errors caused by any number of things (dirty heads, voltage fluctuations, cheap cables, crappy deck, bad juju, etc).

Now, when you export your finished product back out to tape, you may have added titles, filters, color correction, etc which will cause a generational loss. How noticeable this loss will be can vary.

Back