Most thriving film industries

Since this is research for business, I'm putting the question here.

As a part of my prospectus, I'd like information on which countries have the most prolific and/or thriving film industries. I'm going to have to ask for links as all data included in a prospectus requires sources for credibility.

Thanks for your time.

Oh, and I saw yesterday in another thread that a user declared how he marketed films on-line by obtaining LIKEs.
We're also using this strategy to build a pre-production buzz, so my question is: is it acceptable to ask fellow users to LIKE our ******** page?

It sounds like you might be unclear on what a prospectus is.

You may want to start off by learning the difference between a business plan and a PPM. And on top of that you'll need to understand exactly when a prospectus is a necessary document. You can google that info easily.

To figure out the hot countries in the film market, spend some time goofing around with http://boxofficemojo.com/. If you're smart, you'll see a picture emerge of which countries offer big revenue possibilities. Let me just state for the record that I'm not advocating this website as a source for your official documentation.

Make sure you consult a legal attorney when you put together your film's paperwork.

good luck,
Shanked

Shanked,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate both your time and honest, sound advice.
But, I'm not composing an offering of product placement at this point in time if that's what you meant; also, my understanding was that a business plan and business prospectus were synonyms (but no need to engage me in an argument there if I'm wrong).

Box Office Mojo & thenumbers.com are recognised by industry professionals as valuable places whence to obtain data, and where I appreciate your pointing me in the right direction, you either misconstrued my question or I did your answer, for I was wondering which nations have the most active and financially successful industries.
India, for example, has a great film industry; Korea cranks out around 80-90 films per year.
From your answer, I thought that you mistook me as asking from which countries I could get the highest paying distribution deal (bigger film markets = higher payments), but I was more trying to relate popular culture influences on travellers.

I'll definitely check out boxofficemojo - they may just have a listing of each country's output per annum.

Have a great day.

Ok, VivaChiba, you're right. I had misconstrued your goals. I'm actually still unclear. Are you talking about researching information in order to seek film financing? Or, are you putting together some kind of booklet that isn't related to film financing?

For film financing, it's important to tell your investor what the potential market is for your film. I assumed you were seeking info about which countries would be good places to seek film distribution in. Sorry, if I'm wrong about that.

I know you wrote that you don't want to argue the point about a "prospectus," but I think I need to correct you for the sake of anyone else who might be reading this post. The word "prospectus" is a very dangerous word in the film industry. Most film business plans and PPM's GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to declare that they are NOT prospectuses. They do this on page one. And they do it in a stand alone paragraph. It's the legal disclaimer. Now, if you're in a situation where you DO need a prospectus, you're in a situation where you're using a lawyer and paying upwards of $15,000 to $30,000. Or more! A prospectus is not a casual document. So let's get that clear.

A business plan is a step down from a PPM. Most small filmmakers are dealing with business plans and MAYBE even the occasional PPM. These are the documents that a small budget production is likely to be using.

However, again, none of what I'm saying is legal advice. If you're soliciting money from someone, you should get the advice of a qualified attorney.

Shanked

Shanked,

Thank you for again taking the time to respond; I've been reading a few of your other posts and you're clearly an intelligent person who is well versed in his trade.

Thank you for clearing up a potentially dangerous area with the business plan/prospectus - I didn't want to argue over wording, but a quick internet search did yield similar results, leading me to believe that I'm perhaps either wrong, or the two mean different things in America (I'm from Britain). It's great that you took the time to point this out to other users/casually perusing non-members, who may mistake everything read on the internet as gospel truth.

I'll send you a PM as to my exact motives for seeking the requested information. It's not exactly some genius reasoning that I don't want to "throw out there", however, as part of a proposal, I'd prefer not to give specifics.

Should anyone else be interested, the most prolific film industries are:

1) Bollywood (India)

2) Nollywood (Nigeria)

The rest is impertinent as this stifles my argument.
Note also that this thread turns up in a google search of the subject, hence my reasons for want of privacy.

Back