What should I do?

I'm a poor college student. What camera should I get?

• The $3,300 Panasonic DVX100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A different "prosumer" camcorder under $1500

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Alright, I'm sure that this is the most repeated subject ever...which camera should I get? Here's my specific scenario:

I planned on saving up over the summer for a Panasonic AG-DVX100a ($3,300 give or take a few hundred). I currently have $1500 or so...and I mean that is ALL I have to my name!

I'm rethinking what camera I should buy. Should I lower my "camera budget" to $1500 and save up the rest of the summer for other equipment and...life savings for the future? If so, what is the best camera for a filmmaker under $1500?

I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks guys!

By the way..I'm getting a new camera (and equipment) to make more professional looking movies. I would like to have a reputation for unique yet professional productions.

I'd suggest going with a cheaper camera, and you'll have some money in reserve for anything project-related you will inevitably find you'll need.

A top-dog camera may be nice to have... but all the extra gadgets & gizmos that come with it will not save a bad story, bad actors, bad lighting, bad framing, bad planning, bad you-name-it.

Some good, solid stories completed on a cheaper cam are worth more than no stories completed, but finally owning a fancy cam.

With the additional monies that would have been spent on a better camera, you might have put that directly into three or four small productions... cast/crew food, transport, props, knick-knacks from the rental shop, permits, expenses what-have-you.

Just an opinion. :shock:

Let me clarify that "bad whatevers" part of my post, btw.

I'm not saying that's what you have... I mean those are the types of things that will invariably happen at the worst occasions. Starting earlier (and working through a few small flicks), you'll have a better handle on how to deal with those issues when it counts... as opposed to waiting longer and going fresh from the gate.

I'll hush now. :blush:

I would actually go for the better camera. But I'm some-one who's hot on production values and nice images. It is a nice camera - and you'll be happy with any image you get from it!
I do agree with all that Zensteve is saying though. Don't rely on good images to tell your film. A film is a story... etc...
But it's always nice to have the best look possible to go with a the best story - then you've got a top notch production! :D

Guerrilla said:
Why don't you rent?

I've never understood why one should rent a DV camera. If Logan were to rent the Panny instead of buying one (or another camera) he'd be subject to the rental houses rules and the simple fact that he'd have to return it. If he owned it, he'd be able to do with it what he pleased at any time he pleased.

Buy the Panny, Logan.

Poke

I would make good productions with good stories no matter which one I buy...but if I buy the DVX100, they'll look better, but I'll be just about broke!

BTW: I can easily make many short movies with nothing but good equipment, good free actors, and good scripts...I don't need money (right now) for anything but equipment!

If I get the cheaper one...any suggestions on a specific camera?

BTW: Thank you guys so much for the replies!!

I don't know about film, but in photography when we get out of school we use 'student equipment'. The cheeper, not as good stuff. But you can still work with it, and then oce you make some money you save up and buy better stuff, and well 20 years later you have the best there is lol ;)

It's probably different in film though, I don't know

Logan, My suggestion is the Canon XL1s... you can pick one up off ebay for around $1,000 now... or new for $3,000.00.... I bought mine new last summer. Although Im saving my monies up for the Panasonic SDX-900 24p camera, I think its like $40,000 with all the accessories. Hopefully this summer though.

Im not a fan of the smaller "Pro" Cameras, like the DVX-100.... There are just to small and in my opinion, cant do what the XL1 can. although I have shot VERY nice looking stuff on my Panasonic Consumer HD 30p camera. (Like $600 NEW I think). Hey, It dont have interchangeable lenses, but it does have 720p.... (And I think 1 Million Pixels). What camera are you currently using?!?

Landon

This is a tough call. I'm a director of photography so I want the best images possible, but I'd rather see you making movies instead of sitting around saving money to buy a cool camera. How long did it take you to save $1500? Can you wait that period of time until you make a movie?

If you decide to buy a camera then here's what you need:
3 Chips (or camera with a big 1/3" chip)
External mic jack
Manual exposure
Manual white balance
Manual audio level control

Accessories
Tripod (don't get a Walmart cheapie, $80-200)
Extra long life battery ($40-90)
Case ($25-100)
Shotgun mic ($200 and up)

There's only one camera in your price range of $1500 that fits the bill and that's the Panasonic PV-DV953. It think it's being phased out so it's hard to find. It has all of the must have features I listed above and was prices around $1000. Now it's chips are only 1/6 chips, but there are three of them.

You could start scanning Ebay for cameras. A good choice is the Canon GL-1. Used cameras make me nervous, but if you do your research it could save you some money.

I did find that Profeel.com is selling Panasonic DVX100s (Not the "A") for $2,888, but who knows how long they'll last.

Poke around on many sites and see what people say.

Here's a link to an article I wrote about buying a DV camera:
http://scottspears.net/buying1stcamera.htm

Good luck.

Scott

Director_by_nature said:
Logan, My suggestion is the Canon XL1s... you can pick one up off ebay for around $1,000 now...

No way! I've been searching ebay every few days for a deal like that! I assumed that, because xl1's are older, they'd be cheaper...but their about $3,000...always. That's about the same price as the panasonic. I'd rather have the panasonic if they're both the same price.

If you know for sure there is an xl1s camera that cheap on ebay, give me the link please...that'll be my choice!

I just went to ultimate electronics today, and WOW! I saw an HD camera for $3,300. I swear! I didn't know it even existed, but the guy there said it is the first "consumer" market HD camera. It wasn't 24p, but it was still pretty cool. It was a JVC. I also saw some other nice cameras that were $2,000, but I'm sure they're cheaper at other places. One was the GL2.

Anyway, I think I might just buy a cheaper camera for now. Maybe next year I'll buy a better one...maybe next year there will be better/cheaper ones out for me to choose from too! I figure, if I ever feel compelled to use a DVX100, I can always rent one. Otherwise I can use my cheaper camera.

By the way, do you guys think it looks better when you turn off the "automatic stabilizer" or whatever it's called? When I do that (at the store, hehe) the picture looks more cinematic to me (it gets blurry motion). It's far from DVX100's 24p, but it still would look better than the camcorder I have (and most people have) now. I think I may just settle for that for the next year or so.

By the way Director by Nature...if you can help me find a $1,000 xl1s, I'll buy that for sure!

Also, I plan on shooting commercials and maybe a music video in the future...is the cheaper camera still a good decision? Perhaps a GL2? Would that look too amature?

I would personally stay away fro the JVC. I know the model you speak of (can't remember what it's called of the top of my head though). The problem being - the camera records to miniDV in MPEG2 format which is a REAL pain when you go to edit.

You could always get a credit card to help pay for the camera. Shell out your $1500, then put the rest on a card and pay it off over a year or so. Of course, I would on do this if you actually have a way of paying off the credit card. It doesn't really buy you anything but time.

I won't buy things on credit.

...I think I'm going to wait until July 15, or so, see how much money I've saved, and make my final decision then. If I don't get the DVX100, I'll probably go for a GL2 or similar camera.

I won't get that JVC. It was cool, but seemed to be more of a gimick sort of camera...like a DVD camcorder...it's cool, but probably not what a filmmaker would need/want.

WOW! Thanks Indie!!! I've seen the camera for $2,600 before, but you've managed to find an even better deal!!! If I save enough money, and those deals are still available...I'm goin' for it!!!

By the way, what's the difference between the DVX100 and the DVX100a?

Indie...you rock.

Back