UO Students!

Is there any interest in starting a student comedy club at the University of Oregon? I don't mean like a comedy club like the Laugh Factory, I mean like a student organization for people who are interested in comedy. Whether that's stand-up or sketch performers, people interested in performing improv, people interested in comedy writing, or people who just like comedy.

Another option is the internet. :P
I work with people from all over the World, you should give it a shot. Maybe you can't perform live that way but you can get some decent recordings going.

Have fun!

I don't think you'd be having this problem if you were a couple hours north. Go Huskies!!!

huskies.jpg

Okay, on a serious note, I think you should start hanging out with theater students.

:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just in case you found the Husky logo too much of a distraction, and didn't see my more serious note, I predict you'd have great success with your project if you just start hanging around theater students. Good luck!

(except for on the football field) :P

You might get some interest if you just start asking people. But that's not really what I meant. Honestly, I think you need to just start hanging around them.

Theater folk love getting involved in projects like this. But if they don't know you, and don't have any reason to trust that your project is going to be awesome, it's just fact that they usually have many potential projects to get involved in, and they're more likely to get involved in the ones with people who they know and trust.

So, instead of asking them to join you, I think you should join them. Infiltrate their network, so to say. And you do that by joining their projects. Is there a local improv group you can join? Probably. Audition for plays. Volunteer for any project you can. Get to know them, make contacts. And when you've made enough theater-friends, then try to form your comedy troupe. It'll take time, but I think it'll work. :)

I love how sneaky that is, all to make a comedy act.
Love it.

In the future you could tell epic (and funny) tales of how it all happened.

No need to be sneaky. Just building friendships and working-relationships. :)

This is also how no-budget filmmakers make ties with potential cast & crew -- by first working on other people's movies.

Back