• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Ara's Tale

Ara's Tale - 3D animated short

I would like to present my first computer animated short: Ara's Tale.

It was created in my sparetime over the course of the last 3 years. It is produced in the spirit of an open movie, meaning, that all its production assets and the movie itself is available under a CC-BY license.

view on Vimeo
view on Youtube

Movie Website

Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Truly inspiring work. As someone who also does independent 3d production, the sheer magnitude of work to visualize this short I know was astronomical. There's just so many different talents that have to be juggled when working on 3d visual content solo. You have my respect, and it is very generous of you to make the work open for study and use... I could probably learn a lot just from looking through the files and content and seeing how things were pieced together.

Thank you for sharing this.

Last edited:
That was great. So can you describe your relationship with your composer? Did he compose the music after you were done? how exactly did that work?
thanks
ps. All I gotta say man is... why?? why cage those dragons?? let them roam free!! Let Ara guard them outside a cage...:D I'm just kidding

That was great. So can you describe your relationship with your composer? Did he compose the music after you were done? how exactly did that work?
Phil Rey (the composer) contacted me during the production ( ~1.5 years ) before the release. Communication has always been over the internet, in fact I never saw him in person or even talked to him :)

But that didn't pose any real problems.

Actually Phil composed the music after the visuals were finished. Thee is one exception, which is Ara's song, which was done a bit earlier on my request, to be able to record the song with a local singer (Julai Schaller) and do the lipsyncing part.

I wrote a very detailed shot by shot breakdown, where I explained the idea behind the shot, the mood and emotional state of Ara. I also described how I saw the balance of sfx and music for each shot as well as the overall sound density.

This worked as a working base for the further development. At first we went through 3-4 different general musical approaches until we settled on the one you can hear now in the movie. Phil composed parts of 1-2 minutes which got discussed and refined.

The discussion took place via a private forum, as it involved also the sound engineer, as well as on soundcloud , where it is quite easy to discuss in the context of the music itself.

All in all it took about 1 month to complete the score.

If you have any more specific questions please ask right away :)

... why?? why cage those dragons?? let them roam free!! Let Ara guard them outside a cage...:D I'm just kidding
Would be nicer, wouldn't it :). But then all the symbolism would be lost ;)
And btw, the dragons are free, in their own dimension, which is indicated with the start and end sequence, with the cage being ony the guarded portal to this world.

Back