M. Night Shyamalan: Microbudget Filmmaker?

Scott Spears posted a message in the Artical area.... I have a question about it.

He stated that he made Microbudget films..... Please see below.

"Really? his films seem expensive to me.

All Productions cost's below are from "Box Office Mojo":

The village: N/A
Signs: $72 Million
Unbreakable: $75 Million
The sixth Sense: $40 Million

Now, Unless Box Office Mojo is joking about actual Production cost's. then I dont see how this could be an Indie or a Very cheap movie. Unless he has $70 million to through around here and there.

If these cost's are wronge, please update me. As I'd like to know how much some of these films cost. "

Landon

I believe you missed the point of the article.

It's about how the sets and cast involved are minimal... and how that can be worked to an advantage for micro-cinema peeps who have no budget.

It's an article that encourages people to think about how they can effectively use what minimal tools they have... you don't really need a three-city shoot, dozens of stuntcars and the renting of the Hollywood Bowl to be able to tell a good story.

In addition to being a 'micro-budget filmmaker', I'd also add that Shaymalan is sort of a throwback to filmmakers of yesteryear, like Hitchcock.

You're right, Don. M. Night is a breath of fresh air compared to the MTV inspired likes of Michael Bay or others. Somehow us filmmakers and studios have been sold a bill of goods saying that we have to have a constant moving camera and fast cutting to get the youth audience. Look at kids shows today, the camera has to wiggle around, etc... because some executive said keep moving otherwise the kids will get bored, but I think M. Night proves that you don't need that crap. All you need is good actors and a good story.

Scott

No question he is a toss back.. one of my favorite directors. I am surprised by his budget numbers just because of his style. Is most of that going into payroll?

Back