Substitute audio tracks - and other phantom edits

Another article in the NY TImes, about dubiously-legal alterations being made to existing films.

The film in question is Harry Potter & Sorceror Stone (not the newest one), and its alternative soundtrack and dialogue that seems to appeal to a lot of people. Once again... "art" being made from commercial productions... or is it? 8)

Here is the whole article, for those that wish to read.

Here is a quote, for the rest:

As imagined by Mr. Neely, the three main characters are child alcoholics with a penchant for cognac, the magical ballgame Quidditch takes on homoerotic overtones, and Harry is prone to delivering hyper-dramatic monologues. "I am a destroyer of worlds," bellows Mr. Neely at one point, sending laughter reverberating through the warehouse Friday night. "I am Harry" expletive "Potter!"

It's quite a step up from that Utah-based video company that edits out the "objectionable" material from existing films to make them more family friendly... but the upcoming lawsuits will probably revolve around the same issue.

That guy (and a friend) have a show here in Austin called Mr. Sinus Theater (think Mystery Science Theater) where they do this to older b movies. This is the first I've heard of him using a recent film.

Poke

There used to be a show called Mad Movies that did this. Speaking of Ronald Reagan, they once took an old Reagan film, and replaced the dialogue as if he was the president in the film. Funny stuff.

Back