Wide and fast lens for GH2.

Dear,

I need a fast and as wide as possible lens for my budget, and it is important to get this wide because the film have scenes of children sitting under tall monuments. Framing both the child and the monument is a relevant aspect of the history. And, to complicate, yes it is at night.

I already got a 50mm f1.4 lens which is wonderful but not wide, especially with the GH2 sensor. Can you tell me some tips about wide and fast lenses for GH2? I'm thinking about Panasonic 14mm 2.5, or Sigma 19mm 2.8. But is it dark for night scenes?

Vintage lenses are welcome.

Fernanado - without a doubt, dr is right about the Nokton 17.5mm f0.95 - it is absolutely the best fast wide lens for the GH2. But if you don't have $1250, the second best is the $549 Noktor 12mm T1.6. It is a true declicked cinema lens with light transmission measured in T stops rather than F stops (it's actually an approximately f1.4 lens).

Here are a couple of reviews that you may find useful:

http://vimeo.com/32866363

http://vimeo.com/31693848

Cheers and good luck with your decision!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys.

I'm biting my nails looking for that Nokton 17.5mm. But sadly, it's out of my budget :(. Truly sad because watching videos of this lens I can clearly see that it's exactly what I need.

So I'm studying this 12mm 1.6. Is it just me or an annoying soft focus appears in more than half of the footages posted by users? Apparently is a limitation of the lens in some lighting situations. I really hate "soft focus" effects.

Look at the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. it may not be as fats as the Voigtlander but it's respectable enough and crazy wide, even for the GH2. You'll probably need an adapter with an aperture ring built in though.

Also, look at the Bower/Samyang/Rokinon 24mm f1.4

Very good lens I've heard

Fernando - if the Noktor is too soft, you might try the Olympus 12mm f2.

Sharper than the Noktor in this side-by-side:
http://vimeo.com/33883104

If 2.8 is fast enough, you might want to look at the Olympus 11-22 f2.8-3.5 for 4/3 with a 4/3 to MFT adapter. I have one of these on my GH2 and it rarely comes off. Autofocus and autoiris works too, unlike the Tokina (which is also a great lens).

Cheers,

Bill

I'm expecting delivery of my EPL1 tomorrow. Its got the 14-42 kit lens which is going to be great for starting me out and building up my skills so that by the time I purchase the GH3 to build my rig with, I will be ready to purchase additional lenses as well. I like the cinematic lenses, but would also like other suggestions for action cinematography, low light and night shooting, as well as one lens for really sharp stills to assemble my press kits with. The press kits, of course, will be shot under full light as well as on set shots under various lighting conditions. The EPL1 will become my second camera. I also have a question about the hacks:
  • Do they cause overheating?
  • Do I need different lenses to use with them since the required SD card must be at such a high bit rate?
  • They seem to be very popular. Are they worth it?

Hi coldhitz- congrats on the new camera! I'd have to have more info to answer your lens questions (like what's your budget?), but to answer your hack questions:

...question about the hacks:
  • Do they cause overheating?
No

• Do I need different lenses to use with them since the required SD card must be at such a high bit rate?
No - and I have to ask - what gave you this idea?

• They seem to be very popular. Are they worth it?
Yes, if you want video image quality equivalent to a camera that costs a whole lot more money.

Please note that only the Panasonic ZS7 (TZ10 in Europe), G1, G2, GF1, GH1 and GH2 have been hacked. No Olympus camera has been hacked. Also, there is no guarantee that the GH3 will be hackable or that master hacker Vitaliy Kiselev will decide to crack it.

Good luck - look forward to seeing the results from the E-PL1.

Bill

Hi coldhitz- congrats on the new camera! I'd have to have more info to answer your lens questions (like what's your budget?), but to answer your hack questions:

No

No - and I have to ask - what gave you this idea?

Yes, if you want video image quality equivalent to a camera that costs a whole lot more money.

Please note that only the Panasonic ZS7 (TZ10 in Europe), G1, G2, GF1, GH1 and GH2 have been hacked. No Olympus camera has been hacked. Also, there is no guarantee that the GH3 will be hackable or that master hacker Vitaliy Kiselev will decide to crack it.

Good luck - look forward to seeing the results from the E-PL1.

Bill

I thought I might need different glass because if I were to increase the horse power on an engine in order to acquire a larger output I would need larger intake (more air and fuel coming into the engine) so I thought I may need more light coming into the camera and hitting the sensor in order to meet the higher demands of the write rate.

$549 Noktor 12mm T1.6. is the type of lens that I'm interested in, specifically because it is designed for cinematic results. Since I've already got my EPL1 and am planning to buy the GH3, the investment will be well worth it and I don't look at it as overrunning my budget as I plan to buy a matte box, rail system, follow focus, tripod, and head, and sound and light equipment, plus the expense of building one scale model cityscape set against my green screen in my living room (soon to be my sound stage), as well as putting together a narrative short. For most, if not all, of my budget I will be using kickstarter.

• Do you know where I can read professional reviews for lenses?
  • If Vitaliy does not crack the GH3, what other hot rodders do you know of with a credible reputation?

Yes, I ask a lot of questions because I need a lot of answers. As I'm coming from motion picture to the DSLR game, you are obviously ahead of me and well aware of the ins and outs of this revolutionary equipment. Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it. :cheers: to you.

Light doesn't power the camera.

Also, don't depend on kickstarter to fund everything. Statistically, most projects don't get funded. And judging by this thread, you're very new at film making and don't have much experience to show so it'll be harder to get more funding, unless of course you already have a lot of friends willing to donate.

As for lens reviews, I do look at Ken Rockwell's site.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reviews.htm

Also, Amazon and B&H reviews are informative.

About the GH3, I'm considering picking that up as well. I do hope Panasonic doesn't close it off from being hacked.

Light doesn't power the camera.

Also, don't depend on kickstarter to fund everything. Statistically, most projects don't get funded. And judging by this thread, you're very new at film making and don't have much experience to show so it'll be harder to get more funding, unless of course you already have a lot of friends willing to donate.

As for lens reviews, I do look at Ken Rockwell's site.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/reviews.htm

Also, Amazon and B&H reviews are informative.

About the GH3, I'm considering picking that up as well. I do hope Panasonic doesn't close it off from being hacked.

Thanks, I already know that light doesn't power the camera. I was asked by brunerww what I was thinking when I made the statement and that's what I was thinking. I was also thinking about a million other things at the same time. I'm not depending on kickstarter to fund everything. I'm planning on buying all my equipment myself. However, I pay my cast and crew and the more I can pay them so much the better for everyone involved. Your judgment is wrong. I am not very new to film making. I am a professional actor and have been for the past 10+ years and I have been acting in lead roles since I landed my first in 6th grade. My experience behind the camera is comprised of filming 10 scripts which I wrote, directed, and starred in myself. I've also filmed the stage play Godspell, District 11 Believe in Me, and Free to Be You and Me (from rehearsals all the way through to performance, except for Godspell which I was licensed to film up through final dress rehearsal.) I was very pleased with the work and so were my clients. I've never claimed to be a professional cinematographer. I am entering my second year of school this semester and will be going all the way through to my MFA in film direction. I am new to ILCs and clearly stated that this is my first such camera. I have tons to learn about it and that's why I'm in school.

I do read the Amazon reviews for lenses and pick up some good information. However, I am more likely to take the word of professionals whom I have dealt with, on forums such as this, or from colleagues I work with. I've checked out Ken Rockwell's site a little, but I spend most of my time in photography research on DPR. They have recently added lens reviews and listings. The listings cover about 100 or so lenses, however most of the reviews are only on a select few lenses and when you click "price check" the link takes you directly to Amazon (DPR is owned by Amazon.) :D

Oh I forgot to come back and thank you for all the tips.
I choosed the Noktor 12mm 1.6. :)

Yeah, man. I've been looking at that one too. Its going on my Christmas list. I watched the video links over this past week and I was really impressed. I also checked out the other ones provided by Bill and followed through to Vitaliy's website. Very interesting. How's your shoot going?

Don't know. I postponed my purchases to wait for BlackMagic, and then gave up when I saw that would take too much time to ship heheh :bag:... Now I'm ordering everything at once.

I will use an anamorphic adapter too, I hope it works with this lens.
Like that: https://vimeo.com/22806106

Man, sorry to hear about your postponement. Scheduling, huh? It is a tough one. However, I've been checking out the Black Magic, too, over in the other thread and I've got to say... :clap:... Very slick. However, its definitely out of the range of my budget. That footage is nice. Very haunting. A place once full of so much laughter, now full of nothing but ghostly silence.

With ordering everything at once... Are you familiar with Thanksgiving(holiday) here in the United States? It is when we celebrate the founding of America by Europeans. It is a fall celebration which takes place the last Thursday of November. It is a National holiday and signals the beginning of the Christmas shopping season for retailers. The day after Thanksgiving is known as "Black Friday." This is when retailers deeply discount their merchandise at their brick and mortar locations. The following Monday is known as "Cyber Monday." This is when online retailers deeply discount their merchandise and continue to do so leading up to Christmas. You should definitely check out Amazon.com USA for deals during this time. They most deeply discount electronics and this is the time which most people in my country purchase camera gear for which they have been saving all their money to purchase at one time. This is what I'm doing and I plan to easily save close to $1000 or more. I think every independent film maker should know about it. However, after speaking to several friends from England and Spain, I found out that its a well kept secret outside of North America. :grumpy:

Last edited:
It is a fall celebration which takes place the last Thursday of November. It is a National holiday and signals the beginning of the Christmas shopping season for retailers. The day after Thanksgiving is known as "Black Friday." This is when retailers deeply discount their merchandise at their brick and mortar locations. The following Monday is known as "Cyber Monday." This is when online retailers deeply discount their merchandise and continue to do so leading up to Christmas.

I didn't know, thank you very much for the advice.
I can't wait for November now, but I will certainly enjoy it. :yes:

Oh I forgot to come back and thank you for all the tips.
I choosed the Noktor 12mm 1.6. :)

So, are you happy with that choice now, Fernando? Initially, you said that you didn't like the softer resolution of that lens. Do you regret not getting the Olympus 12mm, like brunerww suggested? Or, do you still feel that the Noktor being faster and cheaper was the better choice? Or, would you now give up the 1.6 for the sharper Olympus image?

Does the SLR Noktor fit right on the GH2, or does it need an adaptor?

Does the Olympus fit right on the GH2, or does it need an adaptor.

What are your thoughts, GH2ers?

Back