Newbie question

:roll: I am in the process of writing my first spec script. I have done a lot of reading and research on the subject and have come across the phrase "too on the nose" in regards to dialogue repeatedly. I'm still not sure what it means. Examples would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks for taking the time to help out the clueless.

It could mean that you are being too specific, or too literal ... as "on the nose" means "exactly".

Hmmm... maybe it's in reference to skipping the opportunity for sly or fluffy dialogue?

Take 1:

Detective: Where is your brother?
Sister: 1420 Chesdam Street.

Take 2:

Detective: Where is your brother?
Sister: Who wants to know?
Detective: Uncle Sam does. Don't fool about now. Where is your brother?
Sister: This isn't about that robbery last night, is it?
Detective: I never mentioned the robbery... maybe we should be asking you some questions instead!
Sister: It's just what I heard from his friend Alex. My brother is staying with him.
Detective: And where can I find this Alex?
Sister: Chesdam Street... 1420. (sob)

Well, clearly I am no screenwriter. But one of them played it out a bit, while the other got straight to the chase.

Just a thought.

indietalk is correct. On the nose dialogue is dialogue that is expected, trite and unimaginative. The text-book cliché response.

Few people say exactly what they mean. People more often leave a lot unsaid. If 16 year old Sally has a crush on a classmate and wants to get to know him, she's not going to go up to him and say, "I've got a crush on you." Chances are she will say something like "Nice shirt" as a way of initiating her agenda of getting to know him better.

Back