• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Filming Underwater

I was just thinking about how you could film underwater in a cheap and effective manner while still getting a good picture. anybody have any good ideas?

Underwater housing is the best and SAFE way to go! Remember you are putting your camera under the water, so you want something that will not LEAK other wise goodbye camera. I got mine off ebay for about 80 dollars. Works like a charm and clear picture! :) Check around and I'm sure you'll find something.

So I should retract my suggestion of a clear plastic sandwich bag, sealed with a twist-tie? #-o

(I actually tried that with a disposable snapshot camera once... not a good plan)

Zensteve said:
So I should retract my suggestion of a clear plastic sandwich bag, sealed with a twist-tie? #-o

(I actually tried that with a disposable snapshot camera once... not a good plan)
You're supposed to take the peanut butter and jelly sandwich out first ;)

I don't know if you have any access to After Effects, but I know it has a tool that let's you turn blue/green screen shots into underwater shots. Basically, just shoot the blue screen like normal with the actor miming swimming or something like that, slo mo the shot, color correct the shot to look blue, add a dark, murky backgound, and insert a few bubbles (this is basically what After Effects adds).

Poke

Depending on the camera you are using, there are a lot of choices for underwater housings. I do a lot of underwater shooting and exclusivel use Gates Housings. They can be viewed at www.gateshousings.com.
From what I understand, they will also make custom housings--Pricy but very nice.

I just wrapped Cling-Wrap around my camera and hoped for the best of luck...good picture, and not a single leak! I also use the same technique for my backpack when it's raining at the bus stop.

I can see how some of that may work, It just seems like a big chance to take. The nice thing about the housings are that the ports are excellent, which give me awesome quality. The wide angle port that I use, give me a 120 degree fov.

Back